Job title: M&E Manager – Uganda
Job Summary: The position of M&E Manager will provide leadership and oversight of the program’s M&E strategies, approaches, systems and tools in collaboration with other program staff, sub-recipients, and M&E units in the Ministries of Health.
S/he will ensure alignment of the program’s M&E approach with national health management information systems and tools, and will provide technical advisory services to strengthen national systems.
The M&E Manager will be responsible for tracking achievement on indicators at the national level and advise on solutions for continuous improvement.
S/he should have the ability to work sensitively and positively with program staff and promote a learning environment.
The M&E Manager is expected to have a high level of self-initiative and use critical thinking skills to identify and fill gaps.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
Specific Job Responsibilities:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure collection of high-quality reliable and timely data to monitor program activities and evaluate progress towards achievement of program objectives.
- Lead development of the program’s M&E plans and procedures. Ensure plans are adhered to and in line with national M&E strategies, health information management systems, and tools.
- Develop and continually update a M&E operations manual to ensure all M&E-related documents and tools are organized, up-to-date, and accessible.
- Support the M&E team in strategically preparing and reviewing M&E calendars.
- Ensure that the program is in compliance with our client’s MEAL Policies and Procedures and strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate regular data quality audits (DQAs) to ensure the integrity of project data.
- Conduct regular field monitoring and supervisory visits with program teams, SRs and government partners.
- Organize and undertake M&E capacity building activities such as trainings, workshops and other visits for learning for our client SR, Ministry of Health M&E staff.
- Coordinate the implementation of program evaluations, assessments, surveys, special studies and operations research as required.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to communicate assessment/survey findings to key stakeholders. Communications should be tailored to the needs of various audiences.
- Work with ICT4D staff to incorporate and maximize the value and utility of technologies for M&E.
- Support programming staff to engage key populations in monitoring and evaluating program’s performance and to incorporate participatory methods into M&E systems.
- Orient program staff and partners on the basic principles and practices of beneficiary accountability.
- Lead the development and implementation of feedback and response channels to reflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries.
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback is adequately documented, addressed, analyzed, and utilized by program teams.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ensure that M&E and program teams regularly review and accordingly adjust M&E plans and tools in the light of changes and needs in the field context based on monitoring data and reflection sessions.
- Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to systematically analyze data for programmatic use, and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design and implementation.
- Support program staff in key activities including development of a learning agenda, organizing regular learning events, supporting operations research, and reflecting, documentation, and communication of learning initiatives.
- Facilitate the M&E Community of Practice to ease communication and information flow among our client, SR and government M&E staff.
- Develop and oversee knowledge management systems and practices to gather, document and share best practices with SRs, government and technical partners.
- Facilitate the identification of lessons learned and best practices and collaborate with M&E and program staff to develop learning briefs, project bulletins and other materials for dissemination.
- Promote adoption of the best practices in knowledge management by other SRs and government partners.
Management and Administration:
- Coordinate with Program Director and Finance staff to maintain, track, and adjust M&E budget throughout the life of the project.
- Support elaboration of Program Update/Disbursement Requests (PU/DR) in collaboration with other program staff.
- Ensure staff compliance with all our client’s and Global Fund administrative and operational procedures and policies, as well as applicable donor regulations.
- Liaise with technical counterparts in the Ministry of Health, other Principal Recipients, and other local and international stakeholders engaged in activities in Uganda.
- Represent our client’s at relevant technical working groups, sectoral meetings and coordination forums.
Human Resource Management:
- Lead, manage and supervise a team of our client’s staff to meet program objectives.
- Conduct periodic reviews of staff performance in keeping with our client’s performance management system and mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in a field related to Public Health, International Development, or Social Sciences.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluating health programs and provision of technical assistance to government and non-government partners
- At least 5 years’ experience in senior management position; preference for experience in the management of M&E systems and staff for health programs in an African country
- Knowledge of national health management information systems, strategies and tools in Uganda
- Demonstrated experience with collection/analysis of epidemiological data
- Understanding of principles and current approaches to M&E for health programming, including knowledge of both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Experience with participatory and community-based M&E systems
- Familiarity with beneficiary accountability mechanisms
- Proficiency in database development/management, and skills in analyzing, interpreting and communicating data and information to various stakeholders
- Experience using ICT4D for data collection
- Significant experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative assessments and surveys
- Previous experience with leading and managing studies and consultants
- Experience with facilitation, capacity strengthening and partnership building, with the capacity to empower staff through opportunities for growth & development
- Ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training
- Knowledge of Global Fund strategies and regulations desired
- Proven leadership and inter-personal skills and ability to build and motivate diverse and talented teams
- Public relations skills and ability to work well both within a team and independently
- Strong representational skills and ability to interface with multiple stakeholders, representatives, and partners (including representatives of government agencies) in a professional manner on an ongoing basis
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and to prioritize competing demands
- Strategic, analytical and decision-making skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Proficiency in database development/management and statistical software (SPSS, EPI-Info)
- Professional proficiency in English oral and written communication skills; strong demonstrated writing skills required (reports, evaluations)
- Willingness and ability to travel in-country (sometimes on short notice) up to 50% and out of the country up to 10%
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their applications including detailed CVS to Recruitment Manager on email email@example.com before 29th November 2016.