Kenya Utalii College
Job Title: Chief Legal Officer & Corporation Secretary
Established in 1969, Kenya Utalii College (KUC) is Africa’s premier hospitality and tourism training institution. With over 60,000 graduates to date, the College remains the region’s single largest producer of skilled personnel for the hospitality and tourism industry: a large number of whom hold top-ranking positions in renowned organizations all over the world.
The College is a state corporation established by the Tourism Act, 2011. In its quest to continuously match the dynamic global demand, the Council of Kenya Utalii College has embarked on a transformative agenda for this notable institution.
Accordingly, the Council is looking for an experienced and vibrant professional to fill the following position:
Chief Legal Officer & Corporation Secretary
Reporting to the Principal, the Chief Legal Officer & Corporation Secretary will be responsible for providing legal counsel to the College and will provide professional legal advice, so as to ensure legal compliance, advice on dispute prevention and resolution and support legal reform initiatives.
He/she will also be responsible for College Council matters.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide a dependable reference point to the College Council and the Management on policy changes by monitoring the operating environment and offer a legal advisory service that is premised on a platform that is well researched, reasoned and timely;
- Ensure compliance with legislative instruments with regard to contracting, the constitutional framework on the laws setting up the College, dispute resolution and petitions and oversee the provision of legal services to the College in its legal relations, employment, procurement, financial management and projects;
- Develop preventive legal strategies to forestall avoidable disputes, controversies and litigation;
- Ensure that all legal disputes concerning the College are professionally resolved including prosecution and/or defence of the College’s cases;
- Advise the Principal and Management in the outsourcing of legal work and other contracted services and ensure that the College obtains value for money;
- Providing legal advisory services to the Management and the Board to ensure statutory compliance with existing law and regulatory requirements;
- Providing Corporation secretarial services to the Board, and to the Management committees of the College;
- Ensure effective and efficient consolidation and dispatch of Council agenda;
- Attending Council meetings and advising on legal requirements;
- Disseminate the decisions of the Council to relevant Divisional heads for implementation;
- Inducting new Council members and ensuring preservation of records for all Council’s business;
- Developing and carrying out reviews of the code of conduct and manual for the Council.
Skills and Attributes
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) from a university recognized in Kenya with at least seven (7) years working experience, three (3) of which must be at a senior level in a busy and reputable organisation [those in possession of a
- Masters degree (LLM) will have an added advantage];
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- A member of good standing with the Law Society of Kenya (LSK);
- Certified Public Secretary (CPSK).
- Good computer skills;
- Has demonstrable skills in orientation to detail;
- A good organizer with individual leadership skills;
- Strategic orientation and demonstrates a flair in continuous learning and research;
- An astute communicator in both oral and written communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to work long hours;
- Has had a distinguished career in their respective fields.
Chapter Six Requirements
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirement of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 on Leadership and Integrity and are, therefore, required to submit clearance certificates from the following institutions together with their application:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate)
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- A Report from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply
Interested Candidates may apply in writing or via e-mail.
Applications must include a cover letter and detailed CV stating relevant experience and qualifications, current position, remuneration, contact details and references.
Applications must be received on or before 16th November, 2016: late submissions will be rejected.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Chairman, Council,
Kenya Utalii College,
Off Thika Road,
P. O. Box 31052-00600,
E-mail applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Only those shortlisted will be contacted.