Nova Academies is looking for an outstanding instructional leader to serve as the founding School Leader at our school opening in Nairobi in late 2017.
This is an opportunity to help create a transformative school model with the future of Africa’s youth at stake.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century.
A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country.
This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
About Nova Academies
We launched two years ago to build the first pan-African network of high-quality and affordable primary and secondary schools. In 2016 we are operating three schools—three in South Africa (Pioneer Academies) and one in Kenya (Nova Academies) —and gearing up for rapid growth.
Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
About The Role
We are looking for an exceptional individual to lead our new school in Nairobi that will open in Tatu City, one of the largest developments in Kenya and a Vision 2030 flagship project, in late 2017.
This school will be our third in Nairobi and will enroll more than 1,000 students as it grows over the years.
As the founding Principal of this school, you will play a critical role in shaping the culture and student experience within an institution that will play a critical role in the community for decades.
You will also actively collaborate with other academic leaders and Principals across both South Africa and Kenya, including through regular travel, to use the experience in your school to improve the overall Nova-Pioneer education model.
We will invest heavily in your professional growth in this important role. You will receive significant training prior to assuming the position, including by spending time shadowing current school leaders in the network and participating in other aspects of our academic system.
Once you are in the position you will receive consistent coaching from our academic leaders who have worked in top schools around the world among other professional development activities (this year our school leaders went on an extensive tour of great, innovative schools in the United States).
As Principal, you will be responsible for ensuring the realization of Nova’s vision in your school.
This will include a heavy focus on developing and leading an exceptional school culture.
You will also spend a large portion of your time developing your teaching team into world-class educators who deliver great inquiry-based education for your students and who are ready to quickly move into leadership within the Nova network.
Specific key responsibilities for the role include:
- Act as an effective leader and ambassador for the organization
- Articulate a compelling short- and long-term vision for the development of the school’s culture and student program;
- Drive the development of an exceptional teaching team including through coaching teachers through observation and feedback;
- Set and model a consistent tone of highest expectations, joy, and growth mindset among staff and students alike
- Collaborate with fellow School Leaders in the network to continuously develop and improve the Nova education model across schools
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with other schools and organizations to provide enriching academic and extracurricular opportunities for students
- Lead key school rituals as needed to model and ingrain culture
- Quickly identify and respond to classroom/school culture or behavior issues
- Partner with parents and other key community stakeholders to build the Nova Pioneer brand
- Plan and lead school staff meetings
- You have 7+ years of experience in a rigorous, high-expectations school setting including instructional leadership roles (e.g., deputy principal, teacher coach, etc.). Experience as a Principal is highly valued but not a prerequisite.
- You are widely recognized as a highly effective teacher and can model what great, inquiry-based teaching looks like. If you don’t have teaching experience, you are instructionally passionate and have a desire to learn and entrench yourself in the Nova approach to teaching and learning.
- You are excited about your own professional development, always seeking out opportunities to grow, whether by asking others for feedback, forming communities of learning with other school leaders, or seeking out training
- You have a track record of improving other people’s performance through coaching, building uncommonly strong relationships, developing creative training sessions and sharing feedback
- You have an exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you sweat the small stuff—people see you as unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback
- You have a desire to further develop your leadership skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth
Does working at Nova Academies excite you?
If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume.
You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified.
Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews in mid-2017.