Resident Science Teachers
Are you looking for an extraordinary school where the learners are excited, inquisitive and have to be convinced to go home at the end of the day?
Are you a recent Bachelor of Education / Science / Engineering graduate with between 2-6+ years of experience looking to build your teaching experience in a world-class institution?
If you answered yes to these questions then you are a viable candidate to be a Resident Teacher at Nova Academies at our school opening in Nairobi in late 2017.
We have a world leading teaching and learning approach that is inquiry based and student-centered and an apprenticeship model that brings your studies and ambitions to life.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century.
A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country.
This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
About Nova Academies: One year ago we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. In 2016 we will be operating three schools—two in South Africa and one in Kenya—and gearing up for rapid growth.
Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
About The Role
- Teach Math, Physics, Chemistry, Business Studies and Computer Studies
- Infuse joy and passion for learning in lessons so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Integrate interactive technology within lessons to enhance instructional delivery
- Meet up with your learning designer to ensure unit and lesson plans are mapped to standards.
- Set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide student feedback so they internalize them.
- Attend weekly feedback meetings with manager to enhance teaching practices
- Head a club, house opportunity for students each term.
- Provide feedback to the curriculum design team about lessons and the overall structure of a unit to ensure revisions are made.
- Fully participate in opportunities for professional growth including daily team meetings and reflections, weekly professional development meetings, instructional coaching, and outside professional opportunities.
- A born teacher. You are not in it by coincidence or accident.
- Teachers’ Service Commission certified/recognized
- A Bachelor’s degree from a well-recognized University. You should have graduated officially by the time of application
- Energetic and passionate about education.
- You’re a top performer with a strong academic background
- You have 2-6+ years of relevant teaching experience. At Nova, we love teachers who have also had varied work experience apart from teaching
- Adept at using Technology. We use a lot of technology for instruction
Does working at Nova Academies excite you?
If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume.
You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified.
Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.