Kenya Utalii College
Job Title: General Manager, Utalii Hotel
Established in 1969, Kenya Utalii College (KUC) is Africa’s premier hospitality and tourism training institution. With over 60,000 graduates to date, the College remains the region’s single largest producer of skilled personnel for the hospitality and tourism industry: a large number of whom hold top-ranking positions in renowned organizations all over the world.
The College is a state corporation established by the Tourism Act, 2011. In its quest to continuously match the dynamic global demand, the Council of Kenya Utalii College has embarked on a transformative agenda for this notable institution.
Accordingly, the Council is looking for an experienced and vibrant professional to fill the following position:
General Manager, Utalii Hotel
Reporting to the Principal, the General Manager, Utalii Hotel shall be responsible for achieving optimal guest satisfaction and a good working environment to attain all set objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Creating and operating environment that assures consistent guest satisfaction;
- Monitoring the performance of the hotel through verification and analysis of guest satisfaction systems and financial reports;
- Maintaining product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints;
- Developing accurate and aggressive long and short-range financial objectives consistent with the College’s mission statement;
- Preparing financial reports for management that clearly explains operational effectiveness, trends and variances;
- Establishing and maintaining a pro-active human resource function to ensure employee motivation, training and development, wage and benefits administration and compliance with established labour regulations;
- Executing marketing, sales and operational activities, producing results that meet or exceed the hotel’s business plan;
- Ensuring good safety practices of employees and guests, assisting in the maintenance of proper emergency and security procedures;
- Establishing and maintaining applicable preventive maintenance programmes to protect the physical assets of the hotel;
Skills and Attributes
- Bachelors degree in Hospitality, Marketing or any business related field from a university recognised in Kenya;
- A Diploma in Hotel Management;
- Minimum seven (7) years relevant working experience, three (3) of which must be at senior management level;
- Membership in a professional body.
- Demonstrated success in operating at least a four-star hotel with a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in a Hotel/Lodge/Resort;
- In-depth experience in Food & Beverage and Rooms;
- Must be proficient in all areas of Hotel operations;
- Hands-on leadership style and must be entrepreneurial, independent thinking and self-starter with a focus to achieving exceptional results.
Chapter Six Requirements
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirement of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 on Leadership and Integrity and are, therefore, required to submit clearance certificates from the following institutions together with their application:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate)
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- A Report from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply
Interested Candidates may apply in writing or via e-mail.
Applications must include a cover letter and detailed CV stating relevant experience and qualifications, current position, remuneration, contact details and references.
Applications must be received on or before 16th November, 2016: late submissions will be rejected.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Chairman, Council,
Kenya Utalii College,
Off Thika Road,
P. O. Box 31052-00600,
E-mail applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those shortlisted will be contacted.