Job Opportunity: Project Officer
The Project: VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia & Ethiopia.
It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany is implementing an EU funded project in Laisamis and Saku sub-counties of Marsabit County.
The title of the project is Community Action for Improved Drought Response Resilience (CAIDRR) and Covers Marsabit central and Laisamis Sub-counties respectively.
The overall objective of the programme is ‘to contribute towards improving food security in ASAL livelihoods through enhanced response and resilience to drought’.
The action is being implemented through a consortium of three NGOs (Community Initiatives Facilitation and Assistance- CIFA; Water Right Foundation-WRF and VSF Germany – being Lead agency).
The project intend to achieve the following results:
(i) Capacities and systems for local preparedness, response to asset protection and management actions are improved;
(ii) Access to services and management of livelihood resources and assets are improved and
(iii) Communities contribute to knowledge exchange and policy influence
We seek to recruit a qualified and well experienced Project Officer to support the implementation of the project.
The Project Officer’s position is field based with frequent visits to other locations within the project area.
The incumbent will work in collaboration with other Field start, partner organizations & the Project Manager.
The project ends in September this year hence the duration of employment is 9 months.
I. Project Administration
- Provide coordinating and administrative support as directed by the Project Manager.
- Monitor the security situation in the project area and at the satellite office.
- Draft internal inter-staff communications.
II. Project Planning & Implementation
- Participate in activity planning and develop data collection systems enabling effective monitoring of defined indicators.
- Maintain project Calendar, budget and ensure deadlines are met.
- Help coordinate and follow up on project activities under components implemented by Project partners.
- Act as liaison point between project partners, the Project Manager and project Consultants to ensure timely implementation of projects.
- Track project activities to ensure they are progressing as per schedule.
- Coordinate and organize stakeholder meetings, and serve as Secretary of the said meetings.
- Support in developing training or other materials for community stakeholders and others.
- Responsible for implementing the natural resource Management (NRM) & drought preparedness component of the project livestock marketing & trade component.
- He/She will be required to identify & provide training for the Community Animal Health Workers.
- Organize livestock traders meetings, facilitate traders access to communities & establish market links in key towns and food markets in drought affected areas in collaboration with local DVO and line ministry.
- Coordinate the procurement of veterinary supplies and equipment for local veterinary stores.
- Responsible for liaison with District Steering Groups, Ministry of Livestock, NGOs and other partners in fulfilling the livestock and market access components of the project.
- Develop work plans, financial projections and verify all financial reports on the respective component.
- Manage the flow of technical reports and compilation of the same in the project narratives.
- Respond to cross cutting issues affecting the community in cooperation with specific expert agencies.
- Steer the development & presentation of community drought preparedness plans with
relevant groups e.g. water user committees, resource planning committees etc.
- Provide Business training for pharmacy owners.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||