Job #: 162765
Job Title: Finance Analyst
Job Family: Financial Management
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Recruitment Type: Local Hire
Language Requirement: English [Essential]; French [Essential]
Closing Date: 23-Jan-2017
Background / General Description: The World Bank Group (WBG) Financial Operations Department (WFAFO) in the WBG Finance and Accounting (WFA) Vice Presidency Unit provides a number of financial operation activities, notably loan accounting and debt financial services, compliance, disbursements, valuation and analytics
for IBRD/IDA loans and treasury portfolios, and data governance.
IBRD/IDA’s loan operations within WFAFO are managed by three divisions: two divisions (WFALA and WFALN) are devoted to serving loan operations (fiduciary compliance and disbursements) which are organized along lines of business serving the regions and loan accounting.
The third division (WFALS) undertakes the critically important service of managing the systems development platform, quality control and publication of Open Data for finance.
The three divisions work closely and collaboratively with one another and this is critical to the overall success of WFAFO’s IBRD/IDA loan operations.
The WFALA division covers loan operations for Africa, South Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
1. Appropriate control over loan portfolio management
a) Collaborate with Finance Officers (FOs) on fiduciary review of loan preparation documents, and clearance of loan restructuring packages;
b) Provide input to FOs on Withdrawal Application Quality Risk (WAQR).
c) Monitor inactive Project Designated Accounts (DAs) and liaise with clients to ensure that DA balances are promptly documented or refunded.
d) Liaise with clients to ensure that loans are closed promptly on the due dates.
e) Promptly follow up with clients to ensure ineligible expenditures are duly refunded.
f) Collaborate with clients on portfolio management and resolution of issues pertaining to disbursements.
g) Ensure consistent application of the Bank’s policies, procedures and guidelines on temporary Suspensions and Debarments, Financial Institution Due Diligence (FIDD) reviews and contract
2. Effective and efficient transaction processing
a. Review and sign-off of withdrawal applications and supporting documentation, refunds, and adjustments.
b. Promptly liaise with clients to resolve any potential issues or exceptions noted in the processing of transactions.
c. Ensure prompt and accurate set up of the Loan Systems Master Database immediately after loan signing.
3. Provide loan information and analyses to assist in decision making.
a. Restructuring and design of new projects: Provide input to FOs for Disbursement arrangements for new projects or new borrowers based on the existing experience with similar projects.
b. Evaluate the results of both the reviews of transactions and the portfolio management work to identify areas where borrowers have capacity constraints and to assist in the decision making on
the type of capacity building that should be provided to the clients.
c. Promptly provide monthly reports to the Country Management Units (CMUs) on the status of disbursements and the performance of the portfolio.
4. Capacity building and technical support to clients
a. Be proactive in providing training to our external clients (borrowers/project implementing units) on the Bank’s disbursement policies and procedures through face to face workshops, video
conferences, e-mails and ad hoc discussions resulting from reviews of transactions, missions etc.
b. Provide advice to internal clients (task teams, financial management specialists and procurement specialists, legal) on disbursement related issues.
c. Promptly respond to enquiries from clients on routine matters such as: the status of withdrawal applications, loan balances, DA balances, key dates, DA ceilings, status of pending grant/loan amendments, status of pending clearances.
d. Collaborate with the Finance Officers (FOs) in the following components of the work program pertaining to client support and technical assistance: i. Country Portfolio Performance Review
(CPPR); Country Partnership Strategy (CPS); Participation in project launches; and providing input to the Implementation Status Reports (ISRs).
5. Implementation of innovations and technological initiatives
a. Provide training, guidance and technical support to clients on the processes and procedures required in order to efficiently utilize electronic disbursements (“eDisbursement”) system.
b. Utilize the available online tools to facilitate knowledge sharing through discussion groups, posting of aide memoires, leave and mission plans, training materials and guidance notes.
c. Appropriately handle other tasks that may be assigned by the department’s management.
1) A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business; and
2) Any one or more of:
(i) A professional certification (fully qualified as CPA, ACCA, CA, CFA or equivalent); or
(ii) a Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business; or
(iii) a combination of adequate and direct relevant work experience in lieu of a professional certification / Master’s degree.
- Work Experience: At least 5 years of relevant experience in portfolio management, project operations accounting, auditing and/or contract management.
– Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally, in the essential languages above.
- Relevant knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial management.
- Knowledge and application of the Bank’s Operational Policies and Procedures and how they relate to disbursements and loan portfolio management.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment and appropriately interpret and apply operational policies, as they relate to disbursements and loan portfolio management.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s IBRD and IDA lending products.
- Strong quantitative skills with superior attention to detail and numerical accuracy.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with demonstrated ability to interpret data, assess issues, develop sound conclusions and formulate remedial measures.
- Ability to manage complex tasks, deal with rapidly shifting priorities, provide professional support to senior staff and deliver against ambitious deadlines.
- Capacity to work simultaneously, effectively and efficiently on a variety of diverse issues and tasks, independently adjusting priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment.
- Strong client focus including good interpersonal, diplomatic and team building skills required for building and maintaining collaborative relationships.
- Willingness to travel on mission and short-term assignments.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||