Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO) is a State Corporation established under Section 3 of the Copyright Act (CAP 130, Laws of Kenya) with the mandate to enforce and administer copyright.
The Kenya Copyright Board invites applications for the following position:
Chief Legal Counsel
Gross Salary Range: KES 202,000 to KES 237,961 p.m.
Role: Provide overall guidance and direction on all legal matters at the Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise the Board’s management on Legal and regulatory compliance matters;
- Overall management of legal and operation issues of the Board including research.
- Oversee and coordinate law enforcement officers and prosecutors.
- Provide guidance and direction on overall operational strategies pertaining to legal and operation functions.
- Prepare periodic and annual reports and statistics on copyright administration and enforcement in Kenya.
- Formulate and draft bills and guidelines that respond proactively to the needs of the copyright industry.
- Approve country position papers on copyright and related rights.
- Respond appropriately to legal and police correspondence and reports.
- Develop and implement short-term and long-term organizational strategies and policies with regard to litigation and operations.
- Advise the management on negotiations and participation in partnerships and collaborations.
- Initiate and implement periodic reviews of legal framework on copyright and related rights.
- Liaise with the Attorney General’s Office and external lawyers on legal matters touching on the Board.
- Support negotiation, ratification and domestication of international and bilateral treaties.
- Overall coordination of performance contract preparation, performance monitoring and evaluation process.
- Masters degree in Law with Intellectual Property specialization;
- Bachelors degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized university and;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law;
- Has served at the level of Senior Legal/State Counsel for at least three (3) years or;
- Has held a senior position at a copyright office for at least five (5) years
- Holds current practicing certificate with no past or pending criminal or disciplinary record
- Be conversant with internationaland regional copyright instruments ;
- Additional Qualification in management or leadership would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate reliable degree of administrative and professional Competence;
- Ability to formulate, interpret and implement policies
- Planning and coordination;
- Strategy formulation and implementation;
- Basic knowledge on mediation, negotiation conciliation and financial management
- Collaboration and networking;
- Reliable research and consultancy experience;
- ICT proficiency
- Commitment to producing results
- Creative, analytical and innovative
- Interpersonal and good communication skills
- Good leadership, advocacy skills
- Self-driven and able to achieve expected results
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their applications including cover letter, duly completed application for employment form (Download form HERE), CV, two referees, daytime telephone contacts and copies of relevant certificates/testimonials not later by 7th March 2017 to:
The Executive Director
Kenya Copyright Board,
P.O. Box 34670-00100
Women, People with disabilities and applicants from designated minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||