Norwegian Refugee Council
Regional Finance Coordinator – Region Horn of Africa
Ref. nr.: 3348833046
Job location: Nairobi
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of a Finance Coordinator is to implement delegated area of responsibility.
- Implement NRC’s systems and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements
- Prepare and submit reports and analysis
- Ensure proper filing of all support documents
- Support line managers in procedures and require support team trainings
- Management of support team
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedures
- Support project staff in financial matters
- Maintain budget control and monitor cash flow for the area
- Provide financial support to NRC Eritrea program
- Prepare budgets and financial reports for Eritrea
- Host audits for Eritrea
- Do Bank reconciliation and eBRS and project summary for Eritrea
- Review and post regional expenses into the Agresso
- Monitor regional budget regularly and inform/advice the regional head of finance on the status of spending
- Reconcile regional office and costs booked in 1560 in all country programs.
- Support regional head of finance in preparation of financial repots
- Support regional head of finance in preparation and revision of regional budgets
- Support regional head of finance in facilitating regional audits and reviews.
- Maintain good control of reconciliation of the regional budget
- Support the Regional Head of finance with gap filling in the country offices and start-up of country programs
- University degree in Accounting and Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA II), or equivalent
- 3 years’ experience from working as a Finance Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems
Knowledge and Experience
- Practical experience of working with multi-donor, multi-year donor environment
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and standard accounting packages
- Excellent project management, accounting and financial analysis
- Knowledge of the context within the region
Education field: Finance / Economics
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
Duty station: Nairobi
Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.no to apply online
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Finance
- Role: Supervisor
Deadline for application: 05/03/2017