The Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) project is USAID’s flagship project in private sector health.
It works to involve nongovernmental organizations and for-profit entities in addressing the many health needs of people in developing countries.
Abt Associates is seeking to hire a Technical Specialist (Chief of Party) to manage and lead its activities for SHOPS/Kenya.
A Technical Specialist at this level has direct project management responsibility for a project (or one or several component(s) of a large project) that is large, highly complex, highly visible, and well-funded.
The TS has an expert role and the technical input is crucial to the project.
This is a supervisory position.
General Job Description:
As a recognized expert in the professional field, performs important and complex analytical, evaluative, and consultative work.
- Development and implementation of the project/project component’s technical aspects.
- Management, and ongoing assessment of the project/project component’s technical aspects. Advises changes and improvements to Project Director and takes responsibility for implementation.
- Can serve as a Technical Advisor to the Project Director and other Technical Specialists to provide research, analysis, and advisory services on project planning, implementation, training, monitoring and/or evaluation.
- Supervisory responsibility over a unit consisting of two or more staff members in situations where the role is operational. But if the main role is an advisory role the supervisory role is not necessary.
- If the main role is primarily an advisory role, the incumbent collaborates at the highest levels of the government and serves as principal project advisor in identifying and networking with key stakeholders. Nationally recognized expert in the field and the use of the expertise is crucial to project success.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Provide management and budgetary oversight on project implementation to ensure all activities are completed within the agreed to timeframe and budget. Track progress of activities against workplan in accordance with available funding. As additional funding becomes available, continue to revise and add activities in consultation with SHOPS Team and USAID/Kenya.
- Lead technical assistance (TA) to support a variety of activities including but not limited to: engaging the private sector in policy discussions, implementing innovative financing mechanisms, and piloting and scaling-up private sector initiatives, all to support the expansion of private sector provision of health services in Kenya.
- Track progress of project results and ensure proper documentation of workplan status to home office and USAID/Kenya (quarterly, semi-annually and annually)
- Lead communication with USAID/Kenya regarding workplan, activity updates, reporting, budget and deliverables.
- Serve as the main point of contact with key government stakeholders as well as other donors and implementers engaged in private sector activities.
- Oversee and manage all technical components of the workplan
- Manage any consultants or subcontractors to carry out project activities
- Oversee and ensure proper documentation of all project expenditures and submit financial reports and back-up documentation to the home office for audit and reimbursement.
- Lead business development efforts in Kenya as appropriate, by providing technical input into new proposals for USAID and other donors.
- Ensure all processes and procedures for project implementation are in accordance with USAID guidelines and protocols.
- Report to and liaise with the SHOPS Africa Regional Manager based in Bethesda to ensure proper coordination and communication to help ensure successful project implementation.
- 10+ years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Email your application and CV to Bernadette_lee@abtassoc.com