National health project officer
(Somali national), Somalia
Overall Purpose of the Positions (2)
The National Health Project Officers, who will be based in Mogadishu and Dhobley of Banadir and Lower Juba regions respectively, will have the responsibility of assisting the Mogadishu and Dhobley health teams in planning, organisation, implementation coordination and monitoring of all the agreed PHC health activities of ARC in Banadir and lower Juba regions.
S/he will work closely with Medical Coordinator (MC), the UN and all other partners operating in Banadir & Lower Juba regions and the local communities.
S/he will also be responsible to roll out training for EWARS (Early warning and response system) for communicable diseases and manage CTC activities in Banadir & Lower Juba regions in partnership with WHO.
- Plan and review all PHC activities in collaboration with Medical Coordinator and other agencies/partners both inside and outside the health cluster forums.
- To supervise and support all field staff in all PHC technical areas in Mogadishu and other areas of South and central Somalia to ensure effective delegation and work allocation.
- Write internal PHC technical reports (including but not limited to monthly and quarterly facility reports, surveillance reports and outbreak reports) and send to the Health coordinator in a timely manner. At the same time to prepare monthly plan and reports of all activities in relation to PHC in Banadir & Lower Juba regions.
- Ensure availability of supplies for emergencies especially acute watery diarrhoea/cholera emergency kits including maintenance at all times of an emergency buffer stock in Mogadishu and Dhobley and to monitor for proper usage and stocks maintenance of such supplies donated to the health facilities.
- Collaborate technically with local community/Authority, UN and other organizations involved in health projects in Banadir/Lower Juba and attend regularly all PHC coordination meetings with all partners.
- Identify PHC training needs and organise appropriate training for all technical staff and to assist in preparation of training materials in conjunction with the health coordinator and other partners.
- Replace/stand in for the Medical Coordinator whenever required. This may be in cases of leave or on request by the Health Coordinator and Country Director.
- Will be responsible for the roll out of EWARS training in identified sites in collaboration with WHO field office.
- Ensure that t all funds are used appropriately and account for the funds with clear supporting documents.
- Technically support monitoring and supervision of all health activities in Banadir/Lower Juba
- Represent ARC in Banadir in matters related to PHC to donors, national and regional health authorities, NGO networks and other parties as necessary ensuring that all relevant partners are kept positively informed.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Experience in managing and coordinating health projects with minimum 3 years in health services and epidemic control at field level with high degree of professional competencies.
- On hand experience in disease surveillance and epidemic control programs including extensive experience in managing chronic illnesses and cholera treatment centres in emergency and development situations.
- On hand experience in basic epidemiological analysis, interpretation and documentation
- A competent trainer with good experience of developing and implementing training plans
- Experience in management of similar health project s will be an asset • Excellent report writing and fluency in English language
Personality traits, Skills and Competencies
- A Somali national who is committed, confident, community oriented with enthusiasm, initiative, drive, leadership qualities, and good advocacy skills to motivate and influence collective decision making process
- Should have a consultative and participatory approach to work with the adaptability of working with different clans, communities, social groups and partner organisations/institutions
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Should have good documentation and dissemination / presentation skills
- Should be able to live, work and travel in an insecure environment, following strict security guidelines at all times.
- Proven capacity to work in a quickly moving, unstable situation and work against targeted outputs with tight time frames and deadlines
- Proficient in use of computers, able to use – Microsoft Word, Excel and Epi-Info and relevant data processing software packages. Should be conversant with use of internet and email systems
- Application letter and copies of relevant academic and technical qualifications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com not later than 23rd June, 2012