The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA) is a not-for-profit subregional organization of the National Agricultural Research Institutes (NARIs) of eleven countries: Burundi, D.R. Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
ASARECA’s mission is promoting economic growth, fighting poverty, reducing hunger and enhancing resources through regional collective action in agricultural research for development.
It aims at increasing the efficiency of agricultural research in the region so as to enhance productivity, value added and competitiveness of the regional agricultural system.
We are seeking to recruit for a Gender Specialist to steer implementation of the ASARECA gender mainstreaming strategy.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Gender Specialist will be charged with implementation of the gender mainstreaming strategy and ‘Champion’ the process in ASARECA.
- Support the strengthening of gender mainstreaming in ASARECA’s programmes and projects which includes use of gender criteria in project proposals, reporting and evaluation, and revision of the gender criteria where appropriate
- Develop, propose and undertake gender mainstreaming initiatives in the region including providing technical backstopping towards the development of a gender strategy in each of the NARI’s in the 11 ASARECA countries
- Support ASARECA and its partners to formulate gender responsive policies to enhance gender mainstreaming in agricultural research
- Identify and build capacity of gender quality assurance teams at appropriate levels in each NARS of ASARECA.
- Coordinate and maintain a close working relationship and strong communication channels with ASARECA stakeholders
- Serve as ASARECA’s contact point and partner with social and gender policy experts in the ECA region and consequently build a network for addressing issues of regional priority in relation to gender.
- Identify individuals who can be champions of change in partner organizations in order to enhance institutional commitment at ASARECA.
Qualification and experience
- The person will have a University degree in Gender or Development studies, Social sciences, Humanitarian studies or related field.
- The person will have 5 years progressive experience in application of gender mainstreaming in programmes and projects in agricultural research for development in some or all of the ASARECA member countries with proven qualities of synthesis and strong ability to analyze, prepare and present written materials in excellent English. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Remuneration and other Benefits
- The remuneration package is comparable to those offered by similar regional organisations in Eastern and Central Africa.
- It includes a regionally competitive salary and allowances for housing and transport, education for dependent children, health insurance, gratuity and home leave.
To apply please send a short application letter describing your professional achievements and your CV with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below.
All applications shall be marked: “PPG – Gender Specialist”.
E-mails must not exceed 2 MB.
Closing date is 5 PM on 8th July 2012
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
P.O. Box 12405, Kampala, Uganda
Attn.: The Director
Web: www.ppg.co.ug or to apply online www.kazijobs.com
More information about the position and the organisation is available at http://www.asareca.org. ASARECA is committed to Gender Mainstreaming.