1. Position Identification:
Department : Emergency
Job Title : Project Officer
Grade : 5
Reports To : Emergency Projects Manager
Supervises (Direct Reports Only) : N/A
Based In (Location) : Maralal
Malaral forms one of the ASAL areas of Kenya. Due to repeated cycles of drought, conflict and lack of diversified livelihoods, the communities are highly vulnerable as a consequence experience high levels of poverty and ill health.
3. Job Purpose
Reporting to the Emergency Program Manager the Project Officer will ensure that the different emergency projects under his/her jurisdiction meet the required project quality and set targets.
4. Key Responsibilities And Accountabilities:
The PO is responsible for coming up with strategies that would promote increased food security and peaceful relationships amongst the different communities under the dioceses of Marsabit and Maralal.
The following are specific Responsibilities that the PO will be required to undertake:
Overall projects management
- Provide technical and logistical support to the partner (staff) to fully understand the design of the emergency projects.
- Oversee implementing partner financial management on funds provided to implement emergency projects.
- Ensure that partner organization engages qualified staff to implement the project.
- Build the capacity of partner staff in projects management
- Ensure that laying down of peace building strategies are prioritized in every intervention supported through CRS emergency/recovery projects
- Participate in development of emergency and recovery project proposals
- Build the capacity of partner staff in monitoring of project indicators and preparing project reports
- Pay monitoring visits to project sites and
- Set up monitoring and evaluation tools for use by partner staff
- Submit quarterly/annual project reports
- Conduct annual review and planning meetings Ensure that all project inputs are available for successful projects implementation
- Ensure that the community is fully involved and consulted during the process of projects implementation
- Building of community capacity to draw their own recovery/development plans remains a project priority
- Ensure that vulnerable community members are not exploited the project implementation and their rights are protected
- Maintain positive relations with partner institutions and other collaborators
- Represent CRS in any meetings with government and other institutions related to the emergency projects
- Support interventions and strategies that would foster peace, increase food security, improved nutrition and sustainable livelihoods amongst the target groups
- Strong coordination with other related programs including, but not limited to, the Global Hunger and Food Security Programs.
- Support and provide linkages with other programs in the NAL region that provide savings and loan schemes, micro-insurance, entrepreneurship and vocational and job-readiness training; as well as matching with value-chain and other market-based initiatives
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends and policies affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field
- A university Degree in Agriculture, food security and other related relevant training
- At least 3-5 years of experience working as an agricultural extension officer or crop research among pastoralist and nomadic NALs.
- Experience in working with resource poor farmers, especially on dry land farming systems, project monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge on GOK strategies and policies on livelihood especially those related to Arid Lands
- Knowledge and experience in market-based cash and/or voucher transfer mechanisms
- Good knowledge and understanding of microenterprise, value chain chain approach and sub-sector analysis
- Sound knowledge and experience in project management including planning, budgeting and reporting
- Excellent analytical and computer skills (Microsoft office package and excel)
- Willingness to travel
- 3-5 experience implementing projects with Nongovernmental organizations..
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through, training, mentorship and accompaniment
- Demonstrated ability to work with various teams.
- Excellent written, oral communication in Kiswahili and English
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs).
- Demonstrated ability foster integration in programming approach
- Excellent understating of GOK, USAID, other relevant donors and CRS operating procedures
- A professional with high personal integrity and commitment
- A good steward of agency resources
- An individual that can cope with work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to being sensitive, motivated and show empathy
- Project Officers-Livelihoods are key members responsible for skills building and transfer through mentorship and accompaniment of IPs, GOK and the community to ensure emergency and DRR projects service delivery.
- They are expected to work closely with other CRS programming units to ensure a holistic and integrated and comprehensive approach of the project as detailed in the proposal.
- Externally key functions include representing CRS in various forums and forging relations with the Emergency, DRR or any development related forums, GOK, IPs, other stakeholders and the community.
- They should ensure that CRS mandate of skills building; constant community consultations, mentorship and skills transfer are sustained through different lives of different projects implemented in Maralal.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for on the email subject lineand CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business June 29, 2012.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya Program
Only Short listed candidates will be contacted