East, Central and Southern Africa Health Community (ECSA- HC)
Communications & Knowledge Management Officer
(ECSA- HC/H R/20I2/04)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified citizens of East African Community states (Burundi, Rwanda, Kenya,Tanzania and Uganda) for the post of Communications & Knowledge Management Officer tenable at the ECSA Health Community Secretariat in Arusha.
The incumbent will work on the World Bank-funded East African Public Health Laboratory Networking Project (EAPHLNP).
Main Purpose of the Job
- The Communications & Knowledge Management Officer will be responsible for strengthening the communications aspects of the EAPHLNR In particular,
- he/she will produce and disseminate materials (e.g.case studies, journal articles, briefs) for communicating information about EAPHLNP;
- coordinate the content of EAPHLNP website page and production of the quarterly bulletin;
- develop and oversee EAPHLNP’s branding and image;
- and maintain an updated photo library and database of contacts.
- The position will also entail supporting the planning of project activities and meetings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the EAPHLNP Project Coordinator, the Communications & Knowledge Management Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist with the creation of policy briefs, briefing materials, best practice case studies, fact sheets, and production and distribution of the bulletin/newsletter, and journal articles on the project.
- Develop, implement, and maintain, in collaboration with EAPHLNP staff in the participating countries, a strong communication strategy/visual branding and develop and maintain EAPHLNP photo library for use across a range of communications forms.
- Develop media engagement plan, ¡n collaboration with the ECSA staff, ensuring that key project activities are well covered by the media in the participating countries.
- Support staff at all levels ¡n the participating countries to generate, share and apply knowledge and expertise and ensure that the knowledge generated under the project is disseminated.
- Support the creation of platforms for virtual communities of practice (CoP) and train and encourage staff ¡n the participating countries to take part in the CoR
- Support the updating of the EAPHLNP web-site, ensuring that all relevant information is included on a regular basis with the support of the ECSA IT team.
- Contribute to the planning of and arrangements for EAPHLNP events such as work shops, meetings and in particular regarding the design and production of materials.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or Professional Writing from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience specifically in the field of information and knowledge management.
- Experience in writing, editing, proof-reading and designing communication documents for public dissemination.
- Background in laboratory sciences or public health would be desirable.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds or in International/Regional Organization and ability to work with multiple team members and stakeholders.
Skills and Competencies
- Computer literate and skilled in office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Publisher, Photoshop, email and familiarity with relevant information technology, including website content management.
- Excellent organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to organize multiple tasks and appropriately prioritize activities.
- Excellent communication skills in written and oral English Language, conveying messages to different audiences using diverse media.
- Ability to be innovative and analyze information from different sources and to synthesize this information into coherent and brief communication documents.
- Demonstrate initiative and creativity; and be a strategic thinker.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with media, and stakeholders from various institutions.
- Multi-tasking and ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Communication strategy for the EAPHLNR
- Quarterly production of regional bulletins.
- Video or documentary production.
- Case studies.
- Policy briefs.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
The details of the package may be obtained on request from ECSA Health Community Secretariat,Arusha.
This is a two-year contract appointment renewable upon satisfactory performance and subject to availability of funding.
Method of Application
Applications comprising of a cover letter expressing the candidate’s motivation for the job and current curriculum vitae with names and contact/addresses of three referees should reach the addressee below by 9 July 201 2.
Submission of applications by email is highly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Director General
East, Central and Southern Africa Health Community
Tel: +255 27 25493 62/5/6
Fax: +255 27 2549392
Email: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
The ECSA Health Community is an equal opportunity employer.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply