Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/19/2012
Position Title: Coordination Officer
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Eligible Candidates: Somali Speaking Only
Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge (O.I.C.) FAO Somalia and the direct supervision of the Head – Emergency Coordination and Monitoring Unit, the Coordination Officer will Support the coordination activities of the emergency response implemented by FAO thematic sectors in Somalia;
- Facilitates the organization of bi-weekly meetings for sector heads on implementation and related issues; organizes follow-up work, including internal meetings to support resolution to issues that need addressing, advocacy and decision-making on important issues.
- Compile bi-weekly updates for senior management.
- Liaise with relevant staff/units/sectors to facilitate linkages and coordination between units.
- Through the monitoring unit liaise with the field monitors on issues relevant for the sectors and provide feedback to sector heads.
- Keep up to date on humanitarian developments, disaster relief management or emergency situations relevant to FAO activities.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to FAO implementation activities and ensuring the effective delivery of assistance.
- Liaise closely with the sectors to assist in the planning activities and help ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations. and report on current situation.
- Participates in various coordination structures and assist in the coordination of FAO sectors/units and in ensuring the necessary support; assist in the drafting of country specific situation reports relevant to FAO activities, apprising of situation to date and specifying unmet requirements when necessary.
- Maintains an overview of country/area coordination structures and advises appropriate FAO sectors/units on maintaining effective coordination.
- Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, e.g. participates in field trips to undertake in-depth reviews of specific country coordination mechanisms.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, parliamentary documents, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondence, etc.
- Assists in the production of appeals for international assistance; advises on and monitors the proper use and spending of donor contributions channelled through FAO.
- Provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the OIC or the immediate supervisor.
- Advanced University degree in International Relations, Business Management or Arts.
- At least seven years of professional experience in the planning and coordination of agricultural development / emergency programmes, including monitoring of projects.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and fluency in Somali language is a requirement.
- Relevance and level of academic qualifications;.
- Extent of experience in coordination of emergency activities.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
- Ability to identify and resolve problems expeditiously and pragmatically;
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the UN system;
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/19/2012 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal History (PH) form (available at http://www.fao.org/VA/adm11e.dot – see following page for guidelines on how to fill it out).
UN-Somalia Ngecha Road Complex
Corner Lower Kabete Road/Ngecha Road
P.O. Box 30470-00100
Applications must be received by the deadline.