HKI is collaborating with NCBA/CLUSA to respond to the USAID Request for Application (RFA) Resilience and Economic Growth in the Arid Lands-Improving Resilience (REGAL – IR) Project in Kenya.
The Nutrition Manager will be part of the Senior Management Team of the project and work closely with the project team, local communities, and local government authorities/technicians to identify opportunities that build nutrition awareness and reduce the incidence of acute malnutrition (wasting) among under five children in the targeted districts.
- Manage the nutrition component of the Regal-IR project and represent HKI as a member of the Senior Management Team for the project; participate in the design and implementation of internal management systems for the project;
- Ensure that gender gap analyses and research evidence informs the designs of all nutrition activities;
- Ensure that REGAL-IR activities are done in partnership and complement ongoing activities supported by other projects (APHIA-Plus, UNICEF, WFP, etc);
- Collaborate with project staff and key stakeholders to identify opportunities, project designs and activities that contribute to improve nutrition practices;
- Together with project staff and other stakeholders in the government and communities, assess the nutritional status through research and informed baseline surveys; Develop project designs that ensure the highest potential for sustainable success in reducing the incidence of malnutrition;
- Provide nutrition technical assistance to project staff provincial and district government counterparts, non-governmental partners and other stakeholders;
- Coordinate and manage the use of research data to develop/refine BCC materials;
- Ensure the pre-testing and revision of all BCC materials developed in areas of nutrition, homestead food production and Hygiene/sanitation; ensure that all BCC materials have technically correct messages and are in line with government policies.
- Develop planning to introduce new BCC materials for use in the training identified partners within the government and communities. Develop and introduce appropriate tools for monitoring and evaluating BCC interventions through key stakeholders.
- Design training programs (including need assessment, training curricula, lesson plans, and training materials) related to nutrition and lead the development of monitoring and evaluation plans following the trainings.
- Collaborate with agriculture and animal husbandry staff in organizing and conducting research and surveys, that inform nutrition activities in home-based food production;
- In collaboration with the project team, implement evidence-based project designs in home-based food production that meet micro-nutrient requirements to improve diet quality;
- Work with Nutrition, Agriculture and Livestock training Officers and other Program Officers in all aspects of training development, including training curricula, lesson plans, and training materials;
- Supervise the performance of HKI staff working within the nutrition component of the Regal-IR project;
- Ensure accurate and timely project and financial reporting that comply with donor requirements for the project;
- Master’s degree in Nutrition or related field with strong practical experience in implementing nutrition programming, at both the government and the community levels;
- At least 6 years of related field experience in nutrition programming (e.g., micro nutrients,infant and young child feeding and women’s nutrition), including strong quantitative analytic skills; experience in programming nutrition initiatives through home-based garden, an advantage;
- Practical experience with behavior change communication strategies in support of nutrition programs necessary;
- Demonstrated track record in undertaking and supporting data collection, analysis and report and article writing, including publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong technical knowledge of nutrition and food security programs and issues in the developing world, particularly in Kenya, including demonstrated ability to track and disseminate new developments in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and communicate with government, academia, and other stakeholders in Kenya at the national, provincial and district level.
- Excellent oral and written English. Demonstrated ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents, and to prepare presentations and articles.
- Excellent oral and written Kiswahili an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with external contacts, as well as internal Colleagues;
- Demonstrated team leadership skills that motivate staff and build team cohesion;
- Proven planning and organizational skills;
- Computer Literate in MS Operating Systems, MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Experience with Epi-info and SSPS an advantage;
If you meet the above requirements, please send a detailed CV, Application letter stating clearly the position that you are applying for as the subject line (Nutrition Manager REGAL – IR), names and contacts of three references, a daytime telephone/ mobile contact to email@example.com by the close of business on 15th June 2012.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||