Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is a humanitarian and development organization that aims to positively contribute towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn and East Africa.
Our work involves provision of clean and accessible water supply, sanitation facilities, promotion of health/hygiene, food security and education programs.
HIJRA is dedicated and committed to reconstruction of community livelihoods through its direct contacts with communities.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
(1 position) Ref: HR004/SOM
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Contract period: One year
Preferred: Somali National
Reporting to the Officer in Charge, the primary function of the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be to lead the monitoring and evaluation function for all of HIJRA’s Somalia Programmes.
This includes providing technical input and support at all stages of the programme cycle to ensure the effective delivery and measurement of quality results for the programmes that include WASH, Livelihoods and Health.
Other tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist HIJRA to design monitoring and evaluation plans for Livelihoods, Health and WASH programmes.
- Track and update the Monitoring Plans, review and set targets, and report on indicators to the program heads and donors in a timely manner;
- Design Performance Monitoring Plans and ensure timely collection of accurate data and reporting to program managers, stakeholders and donors.
- Maintain and keep up to date the project monitoring and evaluation database;
- Assist the organization to design, conduct, analyze and report high quality formative research to support program design, materials development, and re-planning.
- Provide technical assistance in data collection, analysis, and report writing, prepare work plans and budgets for monitoring and evaluation
- Assist with the preparation of proposals for WASH, Livelihoods and Health projects.
- Design and provide training in monitoring, evaluation and data interpretation and utilization.
- Managing the M & E systems for the organization’s programs to ensure greater learning, more responsive programming and greater accountability.
- Preparing and implementing annual, quarterly and monthly monitoring and evaluation plans for the programmes.
- Generating reports and analyses that enable programme management to make informed decisions.
- Guiding the M&E team in preparing for baseline surveys, rapid assesments, weekly progress updates, 4W matrix updates, Public Helath trend reports and Project evaluation resports.
- Ensuring that the quality and quantity of the program activities being delivered are in accordance with the obligations prescribed.
- Uploading progress data in MEsure and ensuring that MESURE is fully operational and is regularly maintained to produce timely real time reports.
- Developing and maintain proper filing system in both hard and soft form
- Ensure that accountability and complaint mechanism are established through beneficiary hotlines and functional across all the programs.
- Coordinate and facilitate internal and external communication system.
- Ensure that all the relevant programmes are implemented in line with the donor requirement and are responsive to the set standards.
- Any other tasks as assigned by your line manager.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Advanced university degree in social science preferably in project planning and Management, M & E or related field
- 5 years’ demonstrable experience in programmatic monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and set priorities.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills; self-driven with a high sense of quality and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong data management and analysis skills including familiarity with Excel, MS Access and SPSS. Experience maintaining computerized databases a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to produce accurate and customized reports to donors while meeting deadlines
- Proven technical skills in data management, M&E and assessment with experience related to monitoring and evaluation of projects with a humanitarian emergency response focus is required.
- Previous experience in one or more of the following technical areas: health services delivery; health systems strengthening; child health/nutrition; education, livelihoods, or capacity building.
- Strong understanding of institutional donor rules and regulations for Quality and M&E.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Has to be productive and creative.
- High standards of ethics and integrity
Desired skills and qualifications
- Somali language would be an advantage
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application with an updated CV which should have at least three names and contacts of your referees, and copies of academic certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Write in the subject line M & E Officer – HR004SOM.
Please note that applications received without the correct subject will not be considered.
Also documents submitted along with applications will not be returned.
For more information regarding the organization you may visit our website: www.hijra.or.ke;
Deadline: 23rd June 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HIJRA is an equal opportunity employer