Program Volunteer Somalia
Supervisor: Grants and Funding Manager
Duration: 6 months
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post‐conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict.
IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 25 conflict zones in the world.
We address both the immediate, life saving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies.
IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
The IRC is an international agency with offices in London, New York, and Geneva.
The International Rescue Committee has been active in Somalia since 2007, providing essential services to IDPs and the communities who host them.
The IRC today implement environmental health and livelihood security projects in Central Somalia.
The program addresses critical issues of public health and livelihood security by targeting access to clean water, sanitation facilities, animal health assistance, redistribution of productive assets and income opportunities through Cash‐for‐Work activities.
The IRC in Somalia operates a field office in Mudug region which ensure program support in all parts of the region.
Scope of Work:
The Program Volunteer would be part of the Nairobi based Program/Grants management team led by the Program Coordinator and contributing to efficient proposal and concept note development, reporting and grants monitoring roles.
In addition, the person is expected to develop communication updates for donors and other stakeholders.
The person would be based in Nairobi and is not normally expected to travel to Somalia.
The person will work with an experienced and friendly team of professionals and a dynamic work environment and would be able to learn significantly from the assignment.
- Assist in donor intelligence search (donor scoping studies)
- Assist in the development of concept notes and donor proposals
- Participate in program assessments‐ background information search, discussion with other agencies, coordination meetings
- Assist in the preparation of donor reports, internal IRC reports
- Perform grants management functions including
- Supporting in grant opening/closing meeting
- Participate in BVA meetings
- Preparing grants update sheets
- Maintaining updated information in electronic and hard copy files,
- Share information with field teams
- Review program monthly reports including 3W (Who, Where, What) matrix to be submitted to the UN
- Develop and update communication materials related to IRC Somalia and its programs to be shared with donors, Government and IRC headquarters as necessary
- Assist in the program documentation and communication
- Experience in writing concept notes, proposals etc related to development or humanitarian work
- Willingness to learn, adapt to team working environment
- Computer literacy‐ word, excel, internet, and any other page set up program
- Excellent spoken and written English skill. Somali language ability a plus
Deadline for applications: 30th June 2012.
Sending applications: Interested candidates are requested to send their application and CV to the email ID: IRCSomaliaJobs@rescue.org with the subject line as IRC Somalia Jobs‐ Application for the position of Program Volunteer Somalia