Duty station: Nairobi Kenya
Type of Position: Regional
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is a prominent knowledge and expertise centre and stimulates effective, efficient and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. It operates from the central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, regional offices and additional country offices worldwide.
Purpose of the job
KNCV primary activity is the building of capacity through the provision of technical assistance. An important field is the building of capacity in operational research applicable to the national TB control efforts at country level.
- Carrying out national and international epidemiological TB research in the African region
- Maintaining an overview of ongoing TB OR research and analyzing a data
- Developing project plans and proposals for research projects.
- Assisting researchers in countries in setting up and carrying out research projects; building capacity for research by giving technical support, providing formal training and monitoring performance of the work. This may include local MSc and PhD students.
- Maintaining contacts with national and international research organizations such as universities, the Medical Research Institutes, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) etc.
- Publishing scientific articles and dissemination of results
- Advising and supporting national TB program staff and partner institutions in the African region in setting up and conducting TB research in a national and international context.
- Identifying opportunities for research and seeking funding for them
- Frequent travel (30-40% of the time) to countries within the region
- Academic level of working and thinking (preferable medical specialization).
- Doctorate degree (PhD) or a minimum of 4 or more first author publications in international journals (not counting abstracts).
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with research techniques and statistics.
- Knowledge of epidemiology preferable in the area of tuberculosis.
- Experience in training and capacity building processes.
- Ability to work in a team and as an individual.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
- Demonstrated skills in research data analysis and statistical programs.
KNCV TB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled. We offer a competitive local salary package with additional benefits for regional staff.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter, CV and names of three (3) references to KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, Nairobi, email: email@example.com under subject ‘Senior Epidemiologist’ before 1st July 2012.