Location: Lodwar – Turkana
Contract: Open Ended; National C2
Oxfam’s Kenya Programme is a complex programme that incorporates both rapid and slow onset emergencies as well as longer term development and policy work.
Oxfam Kenya Programme applies a one programme approach which means it has multiple activities that support a holistic approach to humanitarian, development and advocacy for long lasting change in poverty reduction.
Oxfam in Kenya works in the north, principally in Turkana, Dadaab and Wajir, the Nairobi informal settlements and on national level advocacy and coordination issues in multi stakeholder fora.
In Kenya, Oxfam aims to help 1.3 million people with clean water, cash initiatives and veterinary support people’s livestock.
To this end, we are looking for a highly experienced Program Coordinator for the Turkana programme.
This is a senior position reporting to the Arid & Semi Arid Land (ASAL) Coordinator.
- The Programme Coordinator will take overall management of the Turkana program with a specific focus to program development, innovation, representation and advocacy and Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL).
- The post holder will work in close liaison with the Turkana team to ensure compliance with donor requirements in procurement, financial management reporting and in line with Oxfam’s internal procedures and minimum standards.
- You will work closely with the Turkana, Nairobi based teams and technical specialists and support the proposal and project development in line with overall strategy.
- In collaboration with members of the field team, you will monitor the overall status of key environmental, social, economic and political indicators and participate in making recommendations for adjustment in strategy or project elements as necessary.
- The post holder will ensure coordination between Oxfam and other organisations (particularly Government line ministries, other NGOs, the UN and The Diocese of Lodwar).
- In addition to support all programme staff to collaborate effectively in district initiatives as these align to Oxfam’s ASAL programme strategy and strategic local and national alliances.
- The incumbent of this position is expected to ensure effective security management in line with Security Guidelines, Standard Operating Procedures and Oxfam’s Security Policy.
- You will report regularly to the ASAL Coordinator through situation reports and progress reports and informally as required.
To be successful in this role, you will have
- A minimum of a first degree in social sciences, coupled with in-depth experience of managing development and/or humanitarian projects.
- Exposure to the NGO working environment is essential.
- You will have proven leadership and management skills, demonstrating an ability to communicate and delegate effectively within a diverse, committed and motivated team and ability to work independently as required.
- Proven ability to analyse complex external contexts, monitor change and translate into appropriate planning and action in line with a good understanding of Disaster Risk Reduction, and when necessary, ensuring appropriate application of standards in humanitarian response is essential.
- You will demonstrate the ability to identify and implement opportunities for innovation.
- Equally important is your diplomacy, influencing and negotiating skills and ability to build good relations both internally and externally.
If you believe you fit the profile, please submit your application and CV detailing your experience for the post, including daytime telephone contact and two referees, preferably your current line managers to email@example.com by 22nd June 2012.
NB: Previous candidates who had applied need not re-apply
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization