Project Management Specialist, Conflict Management
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) seeks to hire a Project Management Specialist, Conflict Management in its Democracy & Governance (DG) Office, USAID/Kenya.
The position is located in Nairobi and is open to qualified Kenyan citizens.
Basic Functions Of The Position:
- The Project Management Specialist will serve as the Conflict Management Specialist in USAID/Kenya’s DG Office.
- His/her primary responsibility will be to provide substantive leadership in the area of conflict management and to manage the implementation of all aspects of USAID/Kenya’s Conflict Management portfolio, as well as provide guidance on human rights, rule of law, and land aspects of the overall DG development program.
- Due to the sensitive and often urgent nature of the Conflict Management portfolio, it is essential that the incumbent have exceptional communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with a variety of internal and external clients.
Any application that does not meet the minimum requirements stated below will not be evaluated. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
If you have not been contacted within two months from the closing date of this advertisement, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- A Masters degree in law, social or political sciences, or international relations/development is required.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience in democratic development/governance work, including conflict resolution/mitigation, is required.
- Experience in program design and implementation is strongly preferred, and some experience in rule of law and land reform work will be advantageous.
- He/she must possess thorough knowledge and understanding of development assistance activities in Kenya, especially democracy and governance issues.
- In particular, he/she should be knowledgeable of conflict management and peace-building issues, concepts, and activities, including a substantive understanding of the conflict dynamics in Kenya.
- An in-depth understanding of civil society work is desirable.
Skills and Abilities: (30%)
- The Project Specialist must have exceptional writing and oral communication skills, including the ability to make formal presentations to various audiences.
- The position requires the ability to interact and work with people of different backgrounds.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently are essential.
- The incumbent must have initiative and a good sense of judgment, and must be able to interpret and apply U.S.
- Government policies, regulations, and procedures, and deal effectively with high level Government of Kenya officials, senior Civil Society Organization personnel, and U.S. Mission personnel.
- He/she must be able to work in teams.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, and spreadsheet software packages is required.
- Must be with use of the Internet for information searches.
For a complete position description visit http://kenya.usaid.gov/employment-opportunities.
Those fulfilling the requirements of the position should submit their application together with a detailed CV and all relevant attachments to the following address.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be conidered.
All applications must reach the USAID Human Resources Office, by COB July 09, 2012 at the following address:
The Human Resources Office,
USAID, P.O. Box 629,
Village Market 00621, Nairobi, Kenya
Re: Project Management Specialist, Conflict Management, DG/USAID/Kenya