Closing Date: 20-Jun-2012
The new Africa Strategy “Africa’s Future and the World Bank Support to It” underpins country and sector strategies for the Bank’s engagement in the Region. The Strategy aims at enhancing competitiveness and employment, reducing vulnerability and building resilience, and improving governance and public sector capacity on the continent. AFTHD, which covers three sectors: Health, Nutrition and Population (HNP), Education, and Social Protection,
Developing country governments allocate roughly a third of their budgets to education and health, and donor allocations to health in particular have reached historic highs.
In the education and health sectors quality is critically dependent on what service providers know and what they do.
The vision of the Service Delivery Indicators (SDI) project is that within 5 years across Africa in about 15–20 countries, Service Delivery Indicators would be a highly trusted data source, anticipated by policymakers, NGOs and the media every 2–3 years to feed into
The Service Delivery Indicators project is a unique partnership of the World Bank, the African Economic Research Consortium and the African Development Bank is expected to become an important tool for accountability for performance—both for governments to monitor results, as well as enabling citizens to challenge poor governance.
The World Bank is the implementing agency for the first five years of the project, and it is within this context that the capacity of the SDI Team—located in the Africa Human Development Department (AFTHD)—is being expanded.
The candidate would be expected to be based in Nairobi and to undertake extensive travel on a regular basis.
Tasks and duties:
- Work collaboratively as a member of the SDI Project Team.
- Oversee the implementation of education and health service delivery indicator surveys in multiple African countries, including in conflict-affected countries.
- Ensure consistency with SDI methodology and meticulous oversight of quality standards.
- Provide strategic guidance to country implementation partners to help address implementation challenges.
- Facilitate strategic partnerships for communication between different stakeholders (government, think-tanks, academic institutions as well as non-government organizations) to ensure widespread use and application of SDI findings.
- Contribute to analytical products on service delivery for human development.
- Take responsibility for preparation country reports in based on SDI data within the expected time-frame.
- Innovate new ways of data collection and creative data dissemination.
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD), PhD preferred, in microeconomics.
- Experience with survey design and execution (survey instrument design, field work management, data entry programming, etc.).
- An ability to work with an exceptional high level of delegation and skill in seeking guidance from others when it is needed.
- An ability to find pragmatic and implementable solutions to problems in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Strong client orientation and an ability to work as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Proven teamwork and leadership skills, working with multi-disciplinary teams across different sectors, and across operational boundaries within the World Bank Group and outside it.
- Strong communications skills, ability to develop and deliver persuasive oral and written presentations.
Click Here to Apply Online