HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya (HRTK) – Uganda Office
Job title: Finance Assistant
Job Description and required qualifications
(Important Note – Position open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Working under the supervision of the Finance & Administration Officer, the incumbent provide support in fiscal and administrative functions to ensure effective and proactive fiscal management and will perform the following functions:
- Assist in procedures for financial and administrative management e.g. cash management, procurement, grants management, accounting etc in accordance with HRTK policies, standards and procedures adapted to handle specific country conditions, ensuring effective internal controls and minimizing risks for HRTK.
- Assist in tracking of project finances including, petty cash, cash receipts, and cash disbursements;
- Assist in the generation of periodic financial reports;
- Assist in ensuring compliance with the purchase management system for goods and services ensuring quality and cost effectiveness and ensure that the procedures for procurement or disposal are adhered to;
- Assist in preparation of salaries with statutory deductions effected and that all the statutory deductions, pension contributions and other employee benefits are remitted on time; and help administer employee benefits and ensure that the salaries and other benefits reach the employees on time and are in line with the employment contracts while ensuring that all the benefits maintained by external organizations such as medical and pension are maintained in force at all times.
- Assist in keeping and maintaining of records of assets and liabilities and that proper depreciation procedures for the assets are followed and periodic physical count is done and the results reconciled with the inventory listing;
- Assist in the maintenance of smooth and effective manual and computerized systems of accounting using modern integrated financial software that captures i) Organization’s accounting and financial aspects and generates appropriate and ii) financial and administrative reports as and when required;
- Assist in maintaining both manual and computerized systems for tracking vehicle mileage and use, cheques, traveling and accommodation, photocopying and other financial and administrative matters to ensure proper use of resources;
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial reports and back up of supporting documents in accordance with HIAS accounting procedures.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly funds requisitions in accordance with HIAS accounting procedures,
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and budgetary control reports for donors. Monitor the budgetary control system to ensure that expenditures do not exceed amounts allocated to each budget line.
- Assist in the preparation of periodic and annual reports on financial and personnel matters for submission to the Country Director and HIAS Headquarters;
- Assist in the preparation for audit of books of accounts by external auditors;
- Perform any other duties as required.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or related field a must. Certified Public Accountant in a recognized institution or at an advanced stage towards qualifications as a qualified accountant.
Skills and competencies:
- Computer literacy a must: excellent working knowledge with worksheets together with experience in the use of accounting and financial management software;
- Proven ability to set up accounting and administrative systems
- Knowledge of Not-for-profit sector an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- No less than 3 years previous job experience in the financial sector.
- A minimum of 2 years in an accounting position.
- Knowledge of Great Plains a distinct advantage
Languages: Proficiency in English and Swahili.
Closing date:11th July 2012.
Positions will be filled on a rolling basis based on identification of suitable candidates.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume including three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate Vacancy Notice No HRTK/UG/A/06/12 in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Late applications will not be considered