Vacancy Announcement Ref: UNSOM/2012/44
Category and Grade Level: GS-2
Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment
Length of Contract: Three months only
No of Posts: Two
Organization Unit: Operations
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Date of Issue: 2nd July 2012
Closing date of Application: 9th July 2012
If you are qualified Somali National and looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the post of a Driver with UNICEF Hargeisa.
The incumbent will be under the supervision of the Administrative/Transport Assistant and will be responsible for coordinating and maintaining office vehicles as instructed by the supervisor.
The successful candidate will be offered a Temporary Appointment for three months. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and visitors on official duty; deliver and collect mail, UNICEF official pouches and other packages as requested.
- Transport arriving and departing visitors and staff members to and from the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Adhere to the strict security regulations of UNICEF. The office must be informed of any deviations deemed necessary.
- Perform specific assignments for the programme and operations sections.
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for regular servicing and repairs. Ensure that the vehicle is kept clean at all times.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc. in the Driver’s Log Book and/or Vehicle Log Book.
- Ensure that the steps required by UN/UNICEF rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents or in reporting incidents of theft.
- Act as interpreter and guide for staff and visitors on official field trips.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies
- Secondary Education, possession of valid Driver’s License, knowledge of traffic laws and regulations and chauffeur courtesies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the city/province/region, and names of streets and locations of community authorities, major institutions/organizations and hotels in the area of assignment.
- Two (2) years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record.
- Good communication skills. Fluency in English and the local language of the duty station.
- Skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) form, updated CV attaching copies of academic certificates to the email below. UN staff are requested to provide the last two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs).
Please quote the vacancy number in your application subject.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
UNICEF is a non-smoking environment