Vacancy Announcement Ref: UNSOM/2012/042
Title: Senior Operations Assistant
Category and Grade Level: GS-7
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Appointment
Case Number: SOM12034
Length of Contract: One year
Organization Unit: Operations
Duty Station: USSC, Nairobi
Date of Issue: 2nd July 2012
Closing date of Application: 16th July 2012
If you are qualified and looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the post of Senior Operations Assistant with UNICEF Somalia Support Centre in Nairobi.
If successful, you’ll be part of a dynamic and passionate team in Nairobi and Somalia that works together to improve the health, nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene, and basic education of Somali girls and boys and protect them from violence, exploitation and abuse.
The successful candidate will be offered a Fixed Term Appointment for one year. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Purpose of the post:
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations, serves as principal assistant for carrying out broad administrative support functions, which may include co-ordination and supervision of clerical and administrative staff engaged in fields of work such as personnel, finance, registry, supply and transportation, as indicated by the requirements and structure of the organization.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Analyze and maintain an overview of the work of the Operations to ensure that timely coordination, administrative, logistics, budgetary, internal control support are provided to the Operations Group and the three out posted Zone Offices. Participates in the recruitment and training of general service staff for specialized and non-specialized work, and assigns general service staff to meet work requirements.
- Maintain and provide regular analysis on the country office and regional office management indicators and in VISION. Analyze financial records like financial receipts to date data transactions and monitoring systems to produce management reports as assigned.
- Advise and assist Programme Section Chiefs and Zones Offices Chiefs and other senior staff in the area of office management. Arranges for and/or attends meetings on day – to day administrative matters, participates in discussions of new or revised procedures and practices, interprets and assesses the impact of changes, and makes recommendations for follow-up action.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparation and internal and external audits. Calculate and Compile cost estimates and projected budget requirements and assists in preparation of budget statements for the Operations Group and Zone office operations group.
- Receive, screen, log and route correspondence, maintain policy, confidential and general files. Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain transactions as required
- Attend with the Chief of Operations to all inter-agency meetings dealing with common services and premises issues and carry out research prior to meetings and provide brief to the COO as well as maintain issues file.
- Prepare correspondence, special reports, evaluations and justifications, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks that may be of a confidential nature in Operations Group.
- Act as ex-officio secretary for audit/risk management and CRC committees and take minutes and prepare report as well as maintain confidential files.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies
- Completion of secondary education; training in business administration is desirable.
- Seven years of progressively responsible work in administration/Finance.
- Commitment to meeting deadlines and drive for results.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact readily with staff members at all levels.
- Fluency in English and Local working language of the duty station.
- Ability to work under pressure is required.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11) form, updated CV attaching copies of academic certificates to the email below. UN staff are requested to provide the last two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs).
Please quote the vacancy number in your application subject.
Email to: email@example.com
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
UNICEF is a non-smoking environment