Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Type: Service provider
Topic: Practical story telling workshop for non-governmental organization staff
Duration: 5-7 days
Reporting to: Communications and Advocacy Manager, Adeso
Starting date: February 2016
Application deadline: January 25th 2016
Organizational Background: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international organization, working with communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
Adeso has been strengthening rural livelihood and delivering innovative humanitarian aid and development programs for the past 20 years.
Currently, we have programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting, dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Scope of Work
Adeso is trying to improve the way in which it tells its story, to give more voice, and visibility, to the community members we partner with on a daily basis, as well as the staff that make our work possible.
We are therefore seeking the services of someone who will train selected staff members on how to share our story and our message in a poignant way in order to better reach our audience.
The service provider will be expected to deliver a three to five-day training to approximately 12 people.
The training should including, but not be limited to, the following:
- Understanding the needs of the HO communication team, and specifically what makes for a good story (including video footage, video, and text)
- Understanding the needs of the fundraising team — what does the average donor want to hear and see? How to present stories that attract donors and win support
- The art of storytelling — how to identify strong characters, create a good narrative and move away from NGO jargon. Story building blocks
- At least one field-visit where staff collect information, create a story, and are given feedback
- Basic photography tips
- Consent and privacy
- Creation of a plan of action for collecting stories over the following 12 months
Consultancy Period: The consultancy will entail up to 7 days, including preparation and reporting days.
- Three to five-day training in Nairobi, Kenya
- Field visit
- All handouts
- Report with key recommendations for Adeso
- Experience conducting story telling workshops for non-profit organizations
- Five year’s experience in communications or storytelling
- Experience working in East Africa preferred
- Excellent English language skills
- Proven ability to work in multicultural environment.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Applications should be submitted by January 25th 2016.
The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive.
All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
Each application package should include the following:
- Technical proposal on how they intend to carry out the assignment, including a proposed agenda
- Updated CV and two references.
- Detailed cost