Introduction: The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
Summary: The Driver will be responsible for providing efficient transport facilitation with regards to the activities of the AVU office.
Scope of Work & Deliverables:
- Fulfill special requests of the office by picking up and delivering items as directed and running errands
- Drive staff to various locations as advised
- Arrange appropriate maintenance of vehicle and keep it clean and in perfect working condition. Maintain vehicle log book and other related records as required.
- Abide by traffic signals, rules and regulations
- To indicate the vehicle fuel and service costs.
- Ensure that the AVU vehicle(s) is used only for official/authorized business, as advised by the supervisor.
- Find the most direct routing over the best available roads to the destination
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness in discussions which involve AVU and its officials.
- Follow all rules and regulations in relation to the management of AVU planning and coordinating vehicle use.
- To ensure all vehicle reports are done on a monthly basis and submitted on or before the scheduled date.
- Take proper measurements to reduce potential security threats to AVU officials or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes.
- Ensure that the steps required by the local rules and regulations (pertaining to driving) are taken in case of accident or theft of Vehicle
- Perform any other duties that the supervisor may assign
- Should have a good understanding of the business environment and the impact their behavior has on the reputation of the organization
- Trustworthy, Treats colleagues and customers in a manner which demonstrates integrity, honesty and fairness
- Good communication and sound report-writing skills will be an added advantage.
- Should be quick in understanding, keen in taking instructions, and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Should be willing, ready and able to perform other duties as delegated to him/her by the immediate supervisor.
- Minimum of Secondary school education
- Must have a clean and valid driving license of classes B, C, and E; and Certificate of Good Conduct not more than 6 months old.
- Should have a minimum of two (2) years of experience in driving 4WD vehicles.
- Minimum of 4 year experience working in an office environment
- Experience in working in an international organization an added advantage Flexibility and ability to stand in for others when required to do so is necessary.
- Basic computer skills, especially in word processing and spreadsheets will be an added advantage.
- Good inter-personal, communication (English language knowledge is a must)
- Basic motor vehicle mechanics a must; and possession of certificate in Motor Vehicle Mechanics will be an advantage
How to Apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) is an equal opportunity employer.
The Successful candidate will be appointed for 12 months
Application must include an application letter and a detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number, email address, and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must have Office Driver as the email subject.
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is 2nd February 2016 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT +3)
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.