Position: 1 (One) Assistant Safety Advisor (ASA)
1. INSO Kenya Background
INSO is a global charity dedicated exclusively to issues of humanitarian safety and to the operation of NGO Safety Offices (NSO) in volatile or insecure contexts.
2. Purpose of Position
The ASA will support the Safety Advisor (SA) Central by:
- Assisting in the collection and verification of security information in the Coast region
- Assisting the SA in the preparation of relevant security reports
- Producing and maintain the weekly incident list
- Helping to enhance information collection capacity in the entire Coast region (five counties)
- Helping in the management of the Coast region-based field monitors
- Reports to the Safety Advisor Central
The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: other tasks may be requested to adapt operational needs.
Assist in the collection and verification of security information
- Liaise closely with NGOs, the UN, the military, and other national and international security agencies to collect relevant information for NGOs use.
- Monitor media to collect relevant information for NGOs use
- Contribute to writing security reports and threat warnings in collaboration with the SA
- Conduct regular field trips to develop local expertise of the context (Coast Province))
- After verification of information, produce a comprehensive weekly incident list to be send to the SA
- Perform site security review on request by NGOs and in close collaboration with the
- Respond pro-actively to any relevant request of NGOs in terms of safety and security
- Support requesting NGOs in times of crisis on request, in close collaboration with the SA
- Fully comply with INSO policy directives;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of all NGO information;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of any documentation/procedures as outlined by INSO
- Other tasks may be requested and should be executed diligently
- Manage your time in the office effectively.
- Work to ensure a positive working atmosphere by enhancing a cordial working relationship.
- This position is based in Mombasa but involves frequent trips to the five counties of coast region
- The position requires the holder to be able to undertake tasks at short notice with due regard to the security environment
- The holder must display a high degree of ethic and with a high sense of responsibility
- This position requires a degree of flexibility with respect to working hours
- Bachelor in either, Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma
- At least 5 years of military, police and/or NGO security work experience
- Excellent English writing skills
- A good understanding of NGO approaches to security
- Proven extensive network of contacts with security interlocutors across the country
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with key security interlocutors
- Excellent Computer skills and knowledge of Windows and Office programs
- Kenyan nationality
- 2 or more years of work experience with NGOs
- Deep understanding of the Kenyan security environment and its historical context
- Experience in high quality report production
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of engagement
- Staff management experience
Interested persons are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17:00GMT on the 25th February 2016 and ensure to reference ‘Assistant Safety Advisor’ in the subject line of your email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
- Up to date CV (5 page maximum).