Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection
Vacancy Notice: ECHO announces a vacancy position for IT Manager in the Administration section of the Regional Support Office.
This is a Grade II Local Staff position based in Nairobi.
1. Overall Purpose: The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO), is the European Commission Department responsible for financing humanitarian assistance.
ECHO finances a range of partners, which include NGOs, UN agencies and the Red Cross Movement, to provide assistance to people affected by both natural and manmade disasters.
The position involves management of ICT services in the country/region by ensuring that operation of systems and network administration (LAN,WAN and intercom) is reliable / stable & available at all times.
The technical duties include installation, conf guration, maintenance, support and optimisation of all hardware, network, software and communication links following relevant ECHO and EC regulations.
2. Main responsibilities
- Functioning of the hardware and software packages; such as:
- Performing specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc) and routine repairs
- Assists in the deployment and installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
- Networks administration; including:
- Manages the Local Area Network in line with EU/ECHO policies
- Ensures the LAN is properly maintained and good practices on security policies developed by EU/ECHO are followed
- Plans, installs and maintains all communication systems
- Acts as focal person with telecommunication service providers on technical issues
3. Qualifications required
- Relevant first level degree,
- Completion of MSCE and CCNA (or CCNP) studies;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant working experience at national or international level in ICT technical areas; In case of failure to provide a degree, a working experience of not less than 7 (seven) years in the same area can prevail;
4. Required Skills
- Specialist in Network management, Security management or System management;
- Working knowledge in Windows and CISCO platforms that includes Windows 7, Server 2008/2012, Exchange Server 2010 administration, CISCO ASA, routers, and switches.
- Proven knowledge of VMware technology
- Knowledge in data backup software’s
- Proven knowledge of VSAT technology and configuration of various satellite equipments
- Proven knowledge in Active Directory user and group policy management;
- Fluency in English, French is an advantage.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory
5. Other skills
- Analytical skills, risk assessment, adaptability and flexibility/cross functional skills, high sense of initiative and good communication skills.
6. How to apply
The position is open to nationals and other residents of Kenya with a valid working permit.
The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a probationary period.
Application plus detailed CV of the interested candidate should be sent to the Human Resources by e-mail to email@example.com. (Subject clearly marked: “REF: IT Manager – ECHO Nairobi’’ latest by noon Wednesday 10 February 2016.
Candidates who have not been contacted by 31 March 2016 should consider that they have not been selected.
Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected