Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/39/2015
Position Title: Livestock Emergency Inputs & Supply Officer
Contract Type: Service Contract
Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension
General description of tasks and objectives to be achieved
the overall supervision of the FAO Somalia Representative, and the
Livestock Sector Coordinator; under the general supervision of the
relevant technical divisions in FAO and the direct supervision of the
Livestock Operations and Emergency Programme Coordinator, the Emergency
Inputs Officer will be responsible for the following tasks
- Support the Livestock sector technical operations;
- Identify in coordination with
Livestock Emergency Coordinator, emergency situations where livestock
interventions may reduce asset losses and advise on specific actions in
accordance with Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS);
- Identify in agreement with Livestock
Emergency Coordinator adequate procurement needs and compile technical
specification for procurement of veterinary drugs, vaccines, others
veterinary supplies, livestock inputs; and services as per the FAO
- Prepare contracts and letters of agreement to be issued for services providers in compliance with FAO MS 502 and MS 507;
- Update on emergency inputs provision under various projects and ensure timely delivery of inputs and services;
- Coordinate the positioning of
veterinary supplies and equipment for disease surveillance and control
(sampling equipment, vaccines, veterinary drugs, cold chain);
- Organize consultation meetings with
all key implementing partners of livestock projects on a regular basis
and coordinate the activities with the partners;
- Prepare regular project reports and briefing papers on the livestock sector and animal health;
- Organize and carry out trainings on disease control measures, emergency preparedness and disease reporting especially of TADs.
- Report any challenges or constraints in a timely manner and ensure timely and effective response;
- Receive, revise and provide first assessment of field reports (weekly, interim and final reports);
- Track record of achievements made by purchase orders and letters of agreements against work plan;
- Provide regular updates on project
implementation to Head of Sector in close collaboration with the
information and monitoring officers;
- Perform any other duty and activity
upon instructions of the Livestock Operations and Emergency Coordinator;
Livestock Sector Coordinator or the Officer in Charge for SomaliaEnsure
timely preparation and submission of regular updates of project
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Bachelors degree in Veterinary Medicine and a relevant post graduate diploma/ certificate will be an advantage
Work Experience: Minimum of three years professional and relevant experience implementing livestock emergency interventions;
- Knowledge and experience in food security and livelihoods.
- Experience in facilitation of
trainings on livestock projects and training on Livestock Emergency
Guidelines and Standards will be considered an added advantage.
- Significant Project Management
experience especially on input distribution with previous experience
with Somalia/Somali people is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with
people of different national and cultural backgrounds, good knowledge of
computers especially Microsoft office package and data analysis
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to work independently as well as a team.
knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication
within the country (English, French or Spanish) and working knowledge
of the local language(s) is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software
and other information systems and databases to insert data, make
enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results
in appropriate format.
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
Interested applicants are required to submit
send your application to HR-Somalia@fao.org quoting the Position Title
and Vacancy Announcement No. “Livestock Emergency Inputs &
Supply Officer 39 2015” in the subject heading.
received after the closing date and applications without all the
specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.