Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET)
Regional Food Security Specialist – Livelihoods
USAID’s Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is a leading global provider of objective, evidence based food security information and analysis.
FEWS NET collaborates with international, regional and national partners to provide timely and rigorous early warning and analysis of potential, emerging, and/or evolving food security issues in order to inform decisions and guide response.
Chemonics International Inc., based in Washington, DC, has been contracted by USAID to manage FEWS NET technical and field activities.
Chemonics seeks applications from qualified and experienced professionals for the position of East Africa Regional Food Security Specialist- Livelihoods to support the following activities:
- Food security and livelihoods monitoring, analysis and reporting in FEWS NET East Africa countries.
- Development of technical networks, capacity development and guidance in livelihoods and food security analysis using the Household Economy Approach (HEA) and other methods and tools, as appropriate.
- Provide leadership, representation and liaison in coordinating regional livelihoods and food security activities and maintaining network relationships.
The RFSS/L will work under the supervision of the East Africa Regional Technical Manager (RTM) and in close collaboration with FEWS NET’s home office technical team, regional and country teams, and with national, regional and global partners to design, execute, coordinate and support livelihoods and HEA related activities in the region.
S/He may be required to supervise technical assistants and will assist the RTM in providing technical oversight for FEWS NET’s livelihoods work in East Africa.
The RFSS/L will be required to travel intensely within East Africa, and some international travel in sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and the United States may be required.
Minimum qualifications and selection criteria
- A Master’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET.
- At least five years of relevant experience in early warning/food security information systems and food security analysis, including at least two years in application of livelihoods and/or HEA analytical frameworks.
- Excellent spoken, written and presentation communication skills in French and intermediate (professional) spoken and written communication skills in English
- Excellent computer and analytical skills. Advanced use of spreadsheets, GIS and statistical packages preferred.
- Experience working at the regional level, knowledge of IPC strongly preferred.
The full Vacancy Announcement for the East Africa Regional Food Security Specialist-Livelihoods can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter in English to: FEWSNET.RFSSL@gmail.com by February 19, 2016.
This position is open to qualified East African national citizens/residents and will be based in an existing FEWS NET office in East Africa (Nairobi, Addis Ababa or Kampala).
Please note “Regional Food Security Specialist- Livelihoods” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
More information on FEWS NET can be found at