Our Client is a Group of Hotels currently recruiting an Executive Sous Chef.
The Executive Sous Chef oversees all day to day kitchen operations and outside caterings.
The Executive Sous Chef supervises the staff of the kitchen, participates in the training and development of staff, and provides performance appraisals and disciplinary action.
The Executive Chef also determines the menu changes, equipment and ingredients that are necessary, and handles special menu requests.
He/she manages the kitchen staff in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
Roles and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coach and provide leadership to all the staff of the kitchen, either directly or through the Sous Chef(s) and Chef de Partie(s), ensuring the training and development of staff, providing input for performance, appraisals, and disciplinary action, according to the values and guidelines of the organisation
- Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff.
- Recruit, train and develop all kitchen employees.
- Strong and effective communication with all departments specifically Restaurants, Banquets, and Catering.
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms and that food products are rotated to ensure high standards of freshness.
- Ensure refrigerators and storerooms are organized and maintained in the various kitchen areas on a daily basis and that all food products are stored in accordance with provincial regulations.
- Supervise and participate in the production and plating of all food service areas, to maintain the best quality food style possible.
- Provide input for menus — creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff — to create a consistent and quality food product.
- Order an inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen.
- Assist and coach in the organization of other staff to reduce the workload or meet the deadlines of the department.
- Ensure food is stored in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality.
- Create, implement and maintain department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Culinary Education
- Food Safe Certification.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Sous Chef position or higher in a high volume and upscale environment.
- Minimum of 10years’ combined experience in the trade of cooking.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Background in culinary competitions is beneficial.
- Food and beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
- Understanding of purchasing and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
- Effective decision making skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand and manage operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling.
- Ability to acquire and maintain relationships e.g., associates, customers, vendors.
- Knowledge of overall operations as they affect kitchen and related areas.
- Effective influence skills.
- Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.
- Innovative, detail oriented, and quality conscious.
- Ability to recognize, influence and follow foodservice trends in preparation and presentation.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements in carrying out job duties
If you feel you fit the above role, please send your CV only quoting the job title on the email subject to firstname.lastname@example.org