Innovations for Poverty Action
Position: HR Assistant
Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
Duration: One (1) Year
Start Date: ASAP
Eligibility: Kenyan Nationals only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
Position Overview: The Human Resource Assistant, under the general supervision of the Human Resource Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures, helps coordinate and facilitate the Human Resource Department activities, functions and processes.
Below is a list of general duties and responsibilities of the Human Resource Assistant, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Human Resource Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Recruitment and selection
- Maintain a database of job postings made by IPA within a month for both national and international jobs.
- In consultation with the HRM and HR Associate coordinate shortlisting of qualified applicants according to pre-specified criteria provided by hiring managers.
- Schedule and organize interviews.
- Inform unsuccessful applicants officially through email.
2. Onboarding & Orientation
- Facilitate induction of new staff.
- Support the planning and scheduling of orientation for new hires to discuss IPAK’s policies.
3. Contract Management
- Preparing, monitoring and renewing of staff contracts
4. Performance Reviews
- Ensure that all performance plans and appraisal forms are filed in all respective staff files
- Notify relevant managers of approaching end of contract and follow up with renewals as instructed by managers.
5. Leave and timesheet management
- Ensure monthly database updated of staff leave/sick day leave balances within stipulated time frame.
- Assist in tracking absenteeism within the projects.
- Ensure that all staff taking leave/vacation have the required approvals from their supervisors.
- Monitor all the Maternity/Paternity leave cases within projects.
- Periodically remind staff within the project through their immediate supervisors to use leave days during the year to avoid carry forward of leave days.
- Work hand in hand with the HR Associate to ensure that timesheets are timely submitted and assist where need be.
6. Database & Personnel File Maintenance
- Ensure that the staff database is updated with all relevant information required and inactive staff captured separately.
- Ensure all HR documents are scanned and saved on Box.
- Ensure Staff files are labelled clearly and arranged in accordance to staff numbers.
- Carry out other duties as shall be assigned from time to time by HRM as part of IPAK daily activities.
- Diploma in Human Resource Management or equivalent
- Prior HR experience preferably with similar organization
- Good oral and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Familiarity with Kenya labor laws;
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and Microsoft packages
- A strong team player and committed to diversity, equal opportunity and capacity building.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadline.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted ONLY by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, please ensure that the subject line reads: “HR Assistant”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the HR Assistant. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com.