Kenya Medical Research Institute
Program description: This program is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
It involves conducting research and program support for activities related to malaria, HIV and other diseases
Due to its continued growth, the KEMRI CGHR HIV Research Branch has the following vacancy in the HIV-Research Laboratory.
Position: Senior Research Officer (Laboratory Manager)
(MR 12) (1 position)
Vacancy No: K01/01/16
Reporting To: HIV-R Branch Chief
- M.Sc. with 3 years of laboratory experience or Ph.D. of Science degree in Virology, molecular biology or related relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in research laboratory (preferably in a virology and/or bacteriology laboratory, sequencing, drug resistance in plasma, breast milk RNA viral load and genotyping viruses)
- Technical understanding and practical experience in DNA extraction, purification and cleavage and finger printing, polymerase chain reactions (PCR), virus cell culture, extraction, viral protein isolation, RNA extraction, reverse transcriptase reactions, nested PCR, cloning, purification and gene fragment analysis.
- Understanding of other clinical tests including early infant diagnosis by DNA, quantification of viral load, HIV serological diagnosis, blood chemistry, complete blood count, Immunophenotyping and analysis of hematological parameters in a clinical setting.
- Understanding of HIV drug resistance genotypic testing using various validated assays and sequence analysis utilizing various platforms to determine HIV drug resistance mutations following genotyping and subsequent laboratory interpretation of the results.
- Good judgment in problem solving, awareness of own limitations and strong internal motivation essential.
- Experience in managing a laboratory.
- Experience in grant proposal writing.
- Publication experience
Responsibilities and Specific Tasks:
The Laboratory Director will be expected to:-
- Deputize the Branch chief in the overall laboratory management of the Branch
- Overseeing all the laboratory activities and programs to ensure appropriate support to branch clinical trial and collaborative studies
- Supervising all laboratory staff to ensure smooth running of the laboratory
- Review of all laboratory documents including annual reports, budgets, and staff appraisals.
- Coordination of the laboratory Peer Review Group whose mandate is to oversee all research activities including grant proposal writing, manuscript writing, protocol development, etc.
- Team lead of laboratory scientific communication including manuscript, abstracts, program pamphlets etc.
- Drafting of manuscripts, review, preliminary data analysis and submission to appropriate journal.
- Mentorship of staff in terms of manuscript and grant writing.
- Protocol preparation, design, review and submission to centre scientific committee.
- Coordinate responses to comments arising from submitted manuscript/protocol by journal/SSC/ERC reviewers.
- Ensure maintenance of the laboratory Quality Management System.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Branch Chief.
Terms of Employment: Selected candidates will be offered one-year renewable contract as per KEMRI guidelines including a probation period for the first 3 months of employment.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education level, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI guidelines.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of Application (indicate vacancy number)
- 3 letters of reference
- Current Resume or CV, with names and contact information (telephone and e-mail address)
- Copies of Certificates or transcripts
Applications are due no later than: 29th January 2016
The Human Resources Manager
P.O. Box 1578, 40100,
or e-mail to email@example.com