Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Field Officer – Maize Storage Project
Position: Field Officer
Deadline to Apply: 29th January 2016
Start Date: 15th February 2016
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: African agricultural markets are thin and weakly integrated, often resulting in lower revenues for smallholder farmers and higher food prices for consumers.
However, agricultural trading firms, which are responsible for intermediation in these markets, and the market environment in which they work have long been a black box.
We do not know if market isolation is the result of traders operating as efficiently as possible within the constraints of high transaction costs — poor roads, high search costs, and limited contract enforcement; or whatever large price dispersion is instead a sign of imperfect competition among private sector actors, exerting market power to drive prices away from competitive equilibria.
The answer to this question has important implications for which market integration policies should be promoted in order to have the greatest impact on price convergence and welfare, not to mention productivity of the intermediation sector.
The Maize Traders study aims to provide quantifiable evidence to guide such policy decisions.
This two-stage experiment aims (1) to quantify the competitiveness of rural agricultural markets, and (2) to test whether the entry of new intermediaries into markets, a common policy response to perceived competitiveness, can enhance competition and increase consumer welfare.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurate & complete survey administration.
- Monitoring of Grants delivered to Traders.
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection.
- Punctuality: both to determined daily schedule & appointments with respondents.
- Planning for team activities for specific project assignments.
- Maintain team cohesion and respect among team members.
- Accurate daily reporting and tracking for oneself and within assigned team.
- Demonstrate integrity and understanding during interaction with community members and partner organization staff.
- On non-field days, accurately perform office duties for instance translation and data entry.
- Maintaining security and quality of project assets and materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Experience with data collection through market surveys, household surveys, focus groups or observations
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals within their homes, markets and over the phone.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (mandatory)
- Ability to comfortably work with groups and within groups
- Ability to monitor sales closely in markets
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma in social sciences, health and /or business administration
- Past experience in data collection
- Experience in data collection using Survey CTO or Open Data Kit (ODK)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted ONLY by email to email@example.com , please ensure that the subject line reads: “Field Officer” REF NO. Maize Storage: 2016-01-02.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.