Vacancy: Operations Manager
About Us: Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life – as small businesses.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community.
We convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms.
Since November 2011, we have launched nearly 700 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of more than 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 200 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in Africa.
Job Summary: The objective of the Operations Manager role is to provide leadership in the management and support of field operational activities by providing on-going business support, coaching, communications and collaboration between Franchisees and FLI and also manage a team of field staff.
Working with the management team, the operations manager role should contribute to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices
Role & Responsibilities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers, represent their voice in internal decisions, and represent the organization in group and individual discussions with them.
- Continually improve the operational systems, processes and policies in support of organization’s mission. Specifically, innovate on and implement better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organizational planning.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Field Officers support for our customers through improvements to role and duties, as well as coordination and communication between customers and Fresh Life.
- Track, organize, and analyze data to understand reasons for operational performance and to devise strategies for improvement.
- Continually monitor for areas for improvement in our support for customers and efficiency thereof; act with urgency to address problems and assess opportunities.
- Drive long-term planning for operational excellence.
- Develop and track team and individual objectives and key results
- Coach, mentor, and supervise team in order to grow their skills; improve results with customers; and build a strong, cohesive team.
- Manage Senior Field Officers to ensure satisfaction and success of customers.
- Lead recruitment and selection of team members.
- Conduct regular training, coaching, and motivation of team to ensure consistent high quality and hygiene standards.
- Generate requisite reports that support team members in providing necessary feedback to franchisees in a timely manner.
- Identify team learning & development needs, and work with the team members in addressing the needs.
- Conduct regular performance reviews with the team and provide feedback necessary for team members’ growth.
- Identify key operations-specific issues that require improvement, and work with the relevant teams in ensuring the issues are addressed.
- Proactively develop and pilot new innovative ideas that are key to operational success and sustainability.
- Liaise with relevant internal/external teams working in projects that are operations specific in ensuring the right data is gathered and feedback is provided.
- Actively participate in operations related task forces and project groups.
Communication & Collaboration
- Ensuring smooth communication between customers and FLI.
- Maintaining local community relations.
- Liaise with team members to ensure effective and efficient communication and support to franchisees
- Collaborate with Fresh Life teams and managers for Sales, Marketing & Branding, Credit, and Government Relations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key operational vendors.
On-boarding for new team members
- Coordinating the development of induction schedules for new team members.
- Ensure that new team members get the necessary preparation for their role.
- Coordinate with the relevant teams to ensure new team members get all the materials necessary for their roles.
Any other duty as assigned by the Managing Director.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Degree in Business Administration, Community Development, Public Health, or other relevant field
- Master’s degree in relevant field
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in English and Swahili, both written and spoken
- Strong problem solving skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent communication skills on all levels
- Professional interpersonal skills
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Experience in similar role
- Work experience in informal settlement context
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Planning and organizing, decision-making,
- Leadership skills and ability to influence others
- Independent, self-starter capable of working well with a team, multi-tasking effectively and managing a variety of responsibilities
- Passion for and commitment to Sanergy’s mission
- Desire to learn, innovate and grow
Physical Demands: Willing to walk in the informal settlements (field-based position)
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online by 5th February 2016