Team / Programme: IT
Child Safeguarding: Level 2 – either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
SCI has multiple SQL Server instances which hold business critical and sensitive data.
- Unit4 Business World (Agresso) – Finance and ERP
- OneNet – Intranet
- AMS – Awards management
- HRIS – Human Resource Information System
- TiM – Total Inventory Managment
SCI also have a large BI development in progress also built on the SQL Server stack. This environment is run by a separate set of BI architects, but the role holder can be expected to deputise for them on occasions particularly in reference to operational issues.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Global Server and Storage Support Manager
Role Dimensions: SCI has an office in London, 7 regional overseas offices, and a network of approximately 50 international country offices. Approximately 15,000 IT users are based across Africa, Middle East/Eurasia, Asia and Latin/Central America. All of these staff use one or more of the systems based on SQL Server and they are all 24×7 systems requiring high levels of service.
Key Areas of Accountability:
The role holder is responsible for
- Taking regular data backups of all SQL Server instances and validating these to ensure DR and BCP procedures can be instated if required.
- Proactive and Reactive performance reviews of all SQL Server instances, recording regular baselines and statistics which can be shared with system owners
- Proactive health checks of all SQL Server instances
- Tuning and optimising Server SQL configurations settings to ensure stable performance
- Advising development team on best practice database design and optimisation
- Configuring and running regular database maintenance tasks to ensure indexes and statistics are kept up to date
- Providing ad-hoc reporting when requested by other technical teams
- Installation and configuration of new SQL Server instances as required
- Track and review SQL Server licence requirements across the estate
- Act as a point of contact as required for emergency out of hours events
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all resources, in order to keep costs low and also ensuring safety in the workplace
- Compliance with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Microsoft SQL Server DBA certification(s)
- Significant experience of tuning and optimising high throughput workloads in enterprise grade SQL Server systems running on SQL 2008 or later
- Excellent knowledge of SQL Server internals related to performance optimisation
- Excellent knowledge of backup and restore capabilities of SQL Server
- Strong knowledge of windows operating system and its relation to SQL Server
- Strong knowledge of storage devices and their relation to SQL Server
- Knowledge of network protocols and their relation to SQL Server
- Knowledge of SQL Server security model
- Experience of communicating technical issues to a multi-cultural, multi-functional audience.
- Knowledge of how SQL Server BI stack interacts with database engine instances using ETL
- Ability to evaluate, recommend and implement timely, essential improvements to existing application services
- Exceptional planning and organisational skills with ability to clearly communicate technical issues to a wide audience.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of SQL Server BI and ETL processes – SSAS, SSRS, SSIS
- Experience of working with globally distributed teams
- Experience of working within an NGO or not for profit organisation
Equal Opportunities: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety: The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to Apply
To apply for this position visit the SCI Kenya Website: https://kenya.savethechildren.net/jobs.