Post Title: Program Manager – Somalia
Location: Based initially in Kismayo, but with travel throughout Somalia
Projects: As assigned by Field Coordinator or Program Coordinator
Duration: 1 February 2016 – 31 October 2016
Context: Secours Islamique France (SIF) is an international non-governmental organization based in France. SIF is non-religious, focusing on both humanitarian emergency and development activities that serve the poor and the vulnerable.
SIF has been operational in Somalia since 2014. In Somalia, SIF’s strategy is to provide basic essential services to IDPs and returnees in Kismayo town.
As such, the Somalia Mission is oriented towards protracted emergencies, and will eventually also encompass sudden on-set emergencies and early recovery programs.
Overview: The Program Manager is the most senior field program person representing SIF Somalia at its field locations throughout southern Somalia, and is responsible for supervision and management of all program staff and activities in the field in close collaboration with the Field Coordinator and Program Coordinator.
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator and the Program Coordinator, the Program Manager is expected to deliver or do the following tasks, in addition to other duties as assigned …
Coordination with Field Coordinator and Program Coordinator
- Under the direction of the Field Coordinator and Program Coordinator, liaise with UN agencies, government representatives, other NGOs, donors, and suppliers on behalf of SIF Somalia Mission.
- Provide verbal and written details of meetings with the above stakeholders.
- Provide regular and detailed updates on field activities.
- Provide project reports by the end of project activities.
Coordination with Regional Office (as directed by Field Coordinator and HoM)
- Liaise with the Regional Administrator to ensure full compliance with all SIF and Kenya rules and regulations regarding human resources and finance.
- Liaise with the Logistics Coordinator to ensure full compliance with all SIF and Kenya rules and regulations regarding procurement, other logistics tasks, and security.
- Liaise with the Program Coordinator to ensure full compliance with all SIF and donor rules and regulations regarding projects.
- Liaise with the M&E Coordinator to ensure full compliance with SIF and donor requirements for assessments, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
- Provision of training to program team in the field when necessary.
Supervision of Field Team
- Manage the field program team, in coordinator with the Field Coordinator.
- Support the field M&E team, in coordination with the M&E Coordinator.
- Assist the Field Coordinator and Head of Mission (HoM) to fully implement activities in Somalia in 2016.
- Assist the Field Coordinator and HoM to develop SIF Somalia Mission for 2016 onwards.
The Program Manager is expected to have the following qualifications and competencies …
- Minimum of a university degree related to humanitarian aid work or emergency relief work. A certificate related to finance or logistics would be a distinct advantage.
- Minimum of 4 years of field-level experience and minimum of 1 year of program management experience in the NGO sector. This experience must be in two or more of the following areas: (1) Education, (2) Food Security and Livelihoods, (3) Shelter/NFI, (4) WASH.
- Prior experience in a developing country. Prior experience in an emergency context or highly insecure environment is a distinct advantage.
The Program Manager is expected to have the following skill sets …
- Good interpersonal skills in all media and modes of communication, including professional appearance, attitude, and behavior.
- Good ability to read, write, speak in English at a professional level, with a good knowledge of industry-standard lexicons.
- Prior experience designing or implementing needs assessments, baselines, monitoring missions, or end-of-project evaluations. Preference will be given to experience related to protracted emergencies involving refugees and IDPs.
- Good computer skills including MS Office suite.
The Program Manager must possess the following personal attitudes …
- A cooperative nature, with focus on problem-solving through consultations and using facts and evidence-based information.
- Honesty and personal integrity.
- Motivated and takes initiative.
- The position requires physical movement. Candidates must be able to walk for extensive periods in urban and rural terrain.
- Candidates must be able to communicate effectively in Somali language.
- Candidates must be able to travel freely inside Somalia.
- Candidates must have good understanding of Somalia context.
Qualified candidates should submit only a signed motivation letter (max. 1 page) and a CV (max. 2 pages), containing the following information:
- Personal contact information, related work experience (in chronological order and going back at most 5 years) with company contact information, at least 1 professional reference, and at least 1 personal reference.
- Motivation letter and CV must be in one of the following formats: PDF or MS Word. Copy of Kenyan ID, JPG or PDF format only. File size to not exceed 250 KB[U1].
All the above documents should be sent to email@example.com by 17h00 (Kenya time) not later than 18 January 2016.
In the email heading, indicate “SIF Somalia – Program Manager – [your first and last name].”
NB: Applications that do not meet the above criteria and specifications will not be accepted.
SIF is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of age, gender, political, or religious affiliations.