United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Vacancy Notice No.: IVN/EVN/KEN/DDB/16/007
Vacancy Notice No.: IVN/EVN/KEN/DDB/16/007
Title of Post: Driver / Interpreter
Post Number: 10014700
Date of Issue: 15 January 2016
Location: Sub Office Dadaab
Closing Date: 28 January 2016
Organizational Context (role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, it’s external / internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercise by the incumbent)
The Drive / Interpreter position in the Office normally falls under direct supervision of the Administrative Officer/Associate.
The incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organisation.
S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor.
While basic function of a Driver/Interpreter is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may is required to act as interpreter on a regular, daily basis.
The incumbent has regular contacts with staff within UNHCR office and with service providers outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Assigned UNHCR vehicles are properly maintained and equipped as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation.
- Local traffic rules and regulations are strictly observed.
- Instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed by the Driver and the passengers during the journey.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers and delivery and collection of mail, documents, UNHCR pouch and other items.
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Act as interpreter.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Drive the vehicle only when his/her safety or security is not at risk.
- Ask the passenger about the destination of the journey and route.
- Decline to drive passengers not authorized to be in a UNHCR vehicle.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- Minimum 3 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Language interpretation still utilizing a full range of basic vocabulary and clear pronunciation in both languages.
- Good knowledge of English and local language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Mechanical skills.
- Respect For Diversity Core Competencies
- Team Work & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Results Orientation
- Organizational Awareness
Relevant Cross Function Competencies As Selected By The Position Manager Will Apply.
Cross – Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation & Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Negotiation & Conflict Resolution
- Planning & Organizing
- Policy Research & Development
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
- Change Capability & Adaptability
Submission of Applications
This vacancy is open for qualified Kenyans ONLY. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should send their application letter to: The Human Resources Section, Nairobi and attach Personal History Form (P.11). Please quote Reference IVN/EVN/KEN/DDB/16/007. Late applications will not be considered.
Please remember to submit photocopy/scanned copies of all supporting documents. Documents submitted shall not be returned to the applicants. Due to the volume of applications only short listed candidates will be invited for interview. A test may also be administered.
Candidates should also complete a Personal History form (P.11) available on the following link – http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc and attach it to their application for the position.
Applications should be sent to postal address, P.O. Box 43801, 00100 or hand delivered to UNHCR Branch Office for Kenya, Lynwood House, Waiyaki Way (opposite Lions Place). Please quote Reference: IVN/EVN/KEN/DDB/16/007.
Candidates should also submit copies of academic Certificates from the relevant institutions.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.