The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa based international research institute engaged in interdisciplinary, evidence-based policy research.
Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, urbanization and wellbeing.
We engage with policy makers in the region to disseminate our research findings and influence change affecting the quality of life in Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit an Associate Research Scientist to work in its Population Dynamics and Reproductive Health (PDRH) Program. Strong M&E skills are mandatory for this role.
- Conduct baseline surveys and other monitoring and evaluation activities for the projects assigned
- Support efforts towards strengthening knowledge base around reproductive health best practices
- Represent the Center in high-level national and regional forums
- Initiate and lead research proposals in the program
- Ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained
- Lead and contribute to scientific paper writing
- Lead the development and review of project technical reports
- Lead and participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences
- Contribute to institutional publications (i.e. lay dissemination materials such as- policy / research briefs and fact sheets) in relation to PDRH projects
- Oversee data cleaning and analysis
- Monitor project budgets and expenditure
- Lead and contribute to proposal development in the program
- Mentor junior staff.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Demography, Public Health or related field
- Experience working in a research institution
- At least 2 years’ experience conducting evaluations and reporting
- Excellent scientific writing skills
- Strong quantitative/ qualitative skills
- Strong proposal writing skills and experience.
The above position comes with an attractive, internationally-competitive remuneration package including medical, travel and life insurance cover.
Allowances toward in-relocation and dependents’ education are also provided.
Preference will be given to nationals of sub-Saharan African countries.
Interested candidates are invited to apply and include: letter of application; a statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and CV with contact details of three referees through our recruitment portal http://jobs.aphrc.org.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
NB: Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer.