Our client is an established Brand in Bar and Restaurant situated in Nairobi’s upmarket Lavington suburb.
They are looking to hire a Sour Chef.
We invite applications from ambitious individuals keen to work with a solid company in the following position:
Job Summary: Responsible for all food production in his outlet including that used for restaurants, banquet functions, staff food, assists in developing menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervise staff.
Develop and monitor food and labor budget for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the chef in planning outlet menus.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of cooks, stewards and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor cost goals.
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Consults with the Executive Chef and outlet manager on food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- In conjunction with the outlet and the General Manager, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
- Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Ensure end of the month inventory is accurate and completed.
- Review “Par Stock Level” for each item and each department based on current operational situation.
- Interview, select, train, supervise, counsel and discipline employees in the Kitchen department.
- Provide, develop, train, and maintain a professional work force.
- Ensure all services to members are conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
- Ensure a safe working environment and attitude on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat co-workers, supervisors and members/guests with respect and courtesy, and to refrain from abusive, insubordinate and/or violent behavior.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to create own creations and able to know the artistic side of food production.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, committees, suppliers, members, and employees.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Key Competencies and Essential Desirable
- Extensive professional and catering experience essential at supervisory level
- A genuine passion and interest for food and cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients
Skills & Ability
- Works well under pressure
- Energetic and Dynamic, a good team player and a good sense of organization.
- Flexibility in working hours
- Excellent personal presentation
To apply, email your cover letter and a copy of your updated resume to email@example.com.
State position in the subject area and your current salary and benefits package by 4th March 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted