British Institute in Eastern Africa
Project Development Officer (PDO)
General: The British Institute in Eastern Africa seeks to appoint a suitably experienced, self-motivated and skilled person to the post of Project Development Officer (PDO) in its Nairobi office on Laikipia road, Kileleshwa.
This is a part-time fixed term contract for two years in the first instance, with a possibility of becoming permanent for an additional 3 years to complete the implementation of the full PTRI scheme.
This is a senior post reporting directly to the Director.
The PDO will work on part-time basis (2.5 days a week) to support the director in the development and implementation of one of its Strategic Development Programs- the Professional Training and Research Initiative (PTRI) which aims to diversify the BIEA’s income streams and expand the BIEA’s impact by contributing to the following strategic objectives:
- Strengthening policy making in and on the region.
- Advancing Research Excellence in and on Eastern Africa.
- Promoting internationalism through forging new forms of collaboration.
- Developing plans and coordinating projects to achieve these objectives.
Task and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and implement advanced practical research training summer schools for social sciences and humanities in Africa
- Spearhead the hosting and administration of external research projects and international research events.
- Design and take a leading role in the initiation of intensive language and familiarisation courses for professionals
- Source and contribute towards the facilitation of contract research in social sciences in Eastern Africa
- Minimum, a master’s degree in the social sciences or humanities and/or social development or their equivalent – A PhD would be an advantage.
- Relevant experience at the national or international level providing advisory and hands-on experience in management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, research contracts and professional training.
- Strong written or verbal communication and organisational skills.
- Skills in Information Technology with experience of university level teaching and service is a strong advantage.
- Knowledge of BIEA activities will be an added advantage.
Gross salary: 83,000kes/month, Includes medical benefits.
Further particulars for this post can be accessed here: www.biea.ac.uk/project-development-officer
Application process: Please send covering letter and full CV, indicating at least three referees, to this email: email@example.com. Applicants should have the right to work in Kenya.
Application deadline: 20th February 2016 6.00 PM [East African Time]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview, on or around 10th March 2016
Start date: To begin on, or as soon as possible after, 1st April 2016