Vacancy: Research Technician – Maize Lethal Necrosis (MLN) – CIMMYT
About the Organization: The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The Position: The Research Technician – Maize Lethal Necrosis (MLN) will provide technical support to the CIMMYT Maize Pathologist, MLN project leader and scientists primarily in Naivasha but also in other Kenyan field locations regarding disease diagnosis, disease surveys, implementation of maize pathology experiments related to MLN in the green house, lab and field.
- Pathology support for greenhouse and field (primarily in Naivasha but also at other Kenyan field stations, as and when needed).
- Carry out MLN diagnosis work using ELISA
- Maintain pure virus cultures of different isolates in greenhouse conditions
- Support disease sample collection during disease survey
- Assist with management of casual labour,
- Support the Maize Pathologist for SSA in in planning and implementation of artificial inoculation trials, data recording, other experiments.
- Support all lab activities
- Maintain high standards of phytosanitation in MLN facility
- Effectively implement the maize pathology experiments conducted in MLN green houses.
- Assist MLN field screening trials, including seed preparation, planting, agronomic management and data collection from field trials.
- Generate and maintain an adequate supply of contaminant free inoculum of different strains / isolates of MLN-causing viruses
- Provide support in other pathology experiments outside Naivasha, as and when required.
- Conduct MLN scoring exercises, data collection and data entry into electronic field books for trials in the green house and assist in field trials.
- Assist research scientists in collecting samples of maize plant parts, particularly leaves, for molecular research as well as their labelling, safe handling, storage and transport.
- Assist scientists on other maize disease screening trials in different locations in seed preparation, planting, agronomic management and data collection.
- Assist scientists in training partners on disease diagnosis and management.
- Assist Maize Pathologist in disease survey and epidemiological studies.
- Assist with various pathological research studies mainly on MLN and also other maize diseases as well.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture / Agronomy / Plant Pathology / Plant Breeding.
- A Master’s Degree would be preferred.
- At least 2-3 year experience in laboratory, green house and field-based pathology experiments and managing agricultural field trials.
- Experience in managing field trials (agronomy and data collection) for a crop research program.
- Experience in maize disease diagnosis will be an added advantage.
- Experience in handling virus isolates and working in disease inoculations is preferred.
- Experience with maize or MLN will be an advantage.
- Experience in managing casual labour will be an advantage.
- A Kenyan national.
Terms of offer: CIMMYT in Kenya is hosted by the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) and is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and subject to ICRAF HR policies and will be for an initial period of three (3) years subject to six (6) months’ probation period with a possibility of renewal.
The position will be based in CIMMYT field office in Naivasha.
How to apply
Applications will be considered until 22nd February 2016.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our web sites: www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org