Effective development and maintenance of the Permanent Way so as to ensure that safety, health and environmental protection are fully integrated in the Company’s logistics operations.
Dimensions: Infrastructure, Roads, Buildings – all sites, Budget, Tonnage, Manpower:
Key skills and requirements
- A degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Registration by Engineering Board or ten years continuous experience in engineering practice
- Sound knowledge of train operations and control system
- Sound knowledge and experience of environmental and safety management.
- Familiarity with Labour Laws, financial and project management
- Sound technical knowledge in permanent way construction and maintenance.
- Physical ability to work in the field (hands on), and in a busy operational environment.
- Participate in the formulation of infrastructural plans, the setting of maintenance standards, specifications, procedures and policies, and ensure compliance and implementation.
- Maintain industrial harmony at work centres to ensure effective team participation in production processes and evaluate staff performance to identify their development and training needs, and set their objectives/targets.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the permanent way and other civil structures to ensure maximum output, availability and reliability at minimum cost and in accordance with the laid down standards and objectives.
- Carry out investigations of train accidents and ensure that correct preventative measures are effected and safety improvement programs are carried out in line with the overall company Safety Policy objectives.
- Provide leadership, support and expertise to operating team and frontline members in order to achieve the operational goals and objectives.
- Identify systems and resources needed to support team performance; prepare budgets and implement controls to ensure delivery within the set financial targets.
- Develop new designs for infrastructure and provide professional guidance, manage new capital projects and ensure planning, designing and implementation is carried out within approved budgets, specifications and schedules.