Position Title: Country Director, South Sudan
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Programs
Job Grade: 5
Location: Juba (with travel throughout the country)
Funding Source: Unrestricted/TBD
Full or Part-time: Full time
Exempt or Non-exempt: Exempt
Organizational Overview: CMMB is a leading faith-based NGO focused exclusively on global health care for the world’s poor, by building healthy, sustainable communities through community engagement and partnerships.
Now entering its second century, CMMB is committed to integrating and focusing its programming around saving the lives of children and mothers by concentrating on leading causes of mortality in targeted communities.
Building around a new CHAMPS (CHildren And Mother PartnershipS) model, CMMB will work at both the community and clinical levels in these targeted communities to strengthen health services and address the leading causes of maternal and child death.
In addition, CMMB will expand its volunteer program to provide medical and business expertise for community development, and will engage with the pharmaceutical industry to help meet the needs of CHAMPS communities and in other areas of need.
CMMB is committed to learning and evolving in order to successfully achieve impact in its strategy, and will have strong vertical and horizontal team structures in alignment to the global strategy in order to encourage accountability, communication, and effective project management.
Department Summary: The Programs department plays a critical role in helping CMMB achieve its vision by leading the provision of high quality programs focused on children’s and mothers’ health, and particularly in the development and implementation of the CHAMPS model.
This team is also responsible for generating revenue from and partnering effectively with government(s), major foundations, and other major donors, and will help to position and enhance CMMB’s technical capacity and reputation in the field of global healthcare.
Job Summary: CMMB has been working in South Sudan for over 8 years. CMMB works to ensure that the most vulnerable health and wellness in enhanced including receiving health care, health promotion and illness prevention.
The Country Director South Sudan is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the CMMB South Sudan country portfolio. CMMB’s current portfolio in South Sudan includes: maternal and child health, CMMB’s CHAMPS programs, and a variety of HIV/AIDS focused programs.
The Country Director must be an innovative thinker, ready to empower staff to achieve CMMB corporate strategic goals, and lead change initiatives which ensure that CMMB maximizes its mission and vision.
The Country Director will direct the implementation of all aspects of CMMB South Sudan’s programs, in partnership with the global staff of CMMB, ensuring the quality and impact of its health program in South Sudan.
The Country Director must be well-versed in office re-structuring and able to oversee changes to program operations, finance, and human resources.
This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Programs, based in New York City, and receives technical and other support from additional U.S.-based staff and teams.
As CMMB’s representative in-country, the Country Director has overall responsibility and accountability for all of CMMB’s finances, assets and legal standing in South Sudan.
- Lead the implementation of strategic initiatives and mentor staff and partners through organizational change.
- Foster the development of a country-level organizational culture, focusing on strategy execution, impact and accountability as well as innovation, permanent learning and improvement.
- Cultivate and motivate staff who are innovative, who seek permanent learning and growth, and who strive for their own and overall institutional improvement.
- Lead and model the central tenants of CMMB’s mission in all aspects of institutional operation, from staff interactions to program implementation, and from partner collaborations to the treatment of beneficiaries.
Programmatic and Technical Management
- Work closely with CMMB USA office in developing and implementing CHAMPS sites in South Sudan, supporting their development with detailed proposals with an eye on ensuring high-quality program logic that can be feasibly delivered within proposed in the local context, including integration with governmental, multilateral, and bilateral and other grant portfolios as possible
- Ensure that CMMB-managed health programs have the appropriate technical staff to lead programmatic activities, overseeing program staff and providing technical and program management input, as appropriate.
- In coordination with partners, ensure programs meet their project goals, objectives and targets.
- Ensure consistent program monitoring and evaluation activities, including necessary site visits, to measure and report on outcomes. Share success stories with CMMB globally for communications purposes.
- Manage CMMB in-country global initiatives, involving pharmaceutical donations, volunteer placements and programmatic grants.
- Lead the overall CHAMPS implementation, project management, and monitoring and evaluation processes in South Sudan.
- Serve as Principal Investigator (PI) in projects where is requested.
Human Resources Management
- Support, encourage and help build up the capacity of the on-site program coordinators and managers.
- Provide leadership or all country operations, establishing a management team and reporting roles for needed levels of program and staff management.
- Ensure CMMB South Sudan operates within local labor requirements.
- Ensure the prudent use of donor resources, ensuring all expenditures comply with rules and regulations.
- With the assistance of the Finance Team, ensure all budgets are tracked consistently and financial reports are accurate and timely.
- Identify cost-savings, where feasible, and plan strategically for financial resource use.
- Develop new program and funding opportunities for CMMB at the country level and/or regionally in conjunction with SVP Programs and the Director of Grants Acquisition, Management, and Evaluation (GAME) team.
- Ensure programmatic successes are documented for individual and institutional donor fundraising purposes as well as linkage to CMMB global strategy.
- Help develop CMMB South Sudan business development plans and implement the plan with the assistance of local and international staff.
Qualifications & Requirements
Competencies and skills
- Superior technical knowledge of humanitarian efforts, emergency relief and/or health systems strengthening, maternal and child health, nutrition and water and sanitation in a range of contexts.
- Excellent leadership, management and negotiation skills with a results-based orientation.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritization, and multi-tasking well while under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking and discipline in documentation that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity.
- Experience of “investment” or grant making in the development sector.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent technology skills.
Essential leadership characteristics and competencies
- The ability to think strategically and the knowledge to develop competitive advantage with CMMB programs.
- The ability to deal with change and present ideas that motivate staff to strive for increased Mission success.
- The demonstrated interest and ability to coach and develop staff.
- The demonstrated record that reflects respect for ethics and fiscal stewardship.
- The established track record of good business judgment and financial acumen.
- The talent and ability to gain the trust of others and foster collaborative relationships.
- The demonstrated ability to model teamwork behaviors and team building skills.
- The awareness of international nonprofit healthcare challenges, current issues and sources of technical support and partnerships.
Required experience and demonstrated results
- At least 8-10 years of management experience, including 5 years of experience successfully managing donor grants achieving satisfactory donor evaluations.
- Senior-level experience in managing Maternal and Child health projects a must and Community Based Rehabilitation is desired. Experience managing additional health systems projects preferred.
- Good knowledge of financial systems and accounting.
- Technical knowledge of leading public health issues in South Sudan, including anemia, malnourishment, maternal and child health issues, disability in children.
- Existing relationships with South Sudan government agencies, NGO and civil society partners working in the sector within South Sudan preferred.
- Ability to work and travel in country (estimated at 25 to 50% travel domestically), as well as ability to attend regional and/or global meetings.
- Must be comfortable working for a faith– based organization.
- South Sudan citizen strongly preferred
Education and/or certification
- University degree, Masters Degree, or commensurate experience, in Public Health with additional qualifications in clinical and community health service provision or training, management, finance is required.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to HrResumes@cmmb.org.