COVAW Job Description
Job title: Program Associate – Movement Building and Community Activism
Reporting to: Program Officer
Contract: One year, with possibility of renewal
Purpose: This position provides an opportunity to improve sexual and reproductive health outcomes for women in Narok by addressing gender inequalities that are sustained by social norms, attitudes and cultural practices.
COVAW is a Kenyan based non-profit making women’s rights organization that seeks to promote womens’ rights and work towards a society free from all forms of violence against women.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead the implementation of projects in Narok, Isiolo and Samburu regions
- Identify, support and work with custodians of culture, community activists and paralegals on community mobilization approaches that address gender based violence (SASA approach)
- Conduct community dialogue forums to create awareness on gender based violence including harmful cultural practices
- Train and work with law enforcement officers, health workers and other service providers on prevention and response to gender based violence
- Design and produce a range of information, education and communication materials to support awareness raising activities and campaigns, including community murals
- Develop project work plans and monitoring tools to guide implementation
- Prepare accurate and timely reports of all program activities and expenditures
- Manage project budgets in adherence to donor and organizational rules and policies
- Represent COVAW in meetings and forums with partners and other stakeholders
- Flexibility and willingness to travel, work long and irregular hours, including occasional weekends and holidays
- Undertake full operational responsibility over COVAW’s assets in use.
- Strong commitment to COVAW’s values and principles
- Adherence to project rules and policies
- Adherence to work-plans, timelines and deadlines
- Outputs and outcomes of the projects achieved and documented
- Display innovativeness and creativity in implementation of program
- Accurate, timely and high quality progress reports and project documentation, including photographs
- Project funds utilized in cost effective manner that demonstrates value for money
- Project funds fully accounted for in line with donor rules and organizational policies
- Enhancing team work and mutual respect between colleagues and project partners
Required qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Community Development or related social science
- Four years work experience with communities and in project management
- Experience with gender work and sexual and reproductive health rights
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, set and meet goals
- Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in the field, under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Computer Literacy (including excel skills).
- Ability or willingness to learn to ride a motorcycle
The successful candidate must also demonstrate COVAW values as follows: Integrity, Respect, Commitment and Solidarity.
Send your application and cover letter marked “Program Associate, Narok” by 26th February 2016 to email@example.com.
No phone calls please. CVs will be reviewed as they are received.
COVAW encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work.