Position: Senior Associate – Data Quality Management
Reporting to: Manager, Design, Data Processing and Analysis
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Start Date: ASAP
Deadline: Application will be reviewed on a rolling basis
About Evidence Action: Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world.
We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money:
- Dispensers for Safe Water is an entrepreneurial program scaling the chlorine dispenser system – a proven, innovative, and low-cost approach to increase rates of household chlorination. This year the program will reach over five million people in Africa providing safe drinking water to vulnerable populations.
- The Deworm the World Initiative actively supports the scale-up of school-based deworming programs worldwide to improve children’s health, education, and long-term development. We partner with governments to support their work as part of our strategy for financial sustainability and in order to ensure integration with other health and education initiatives.
The MLIS team embodies the evidence-based nature of Evidence Action’s work and enables us to be a data-driven organization.
- All ongoing program monitoring needs met (including M&E design and quality data collection)
- Programs delivered with access to timely and useful data for day-to-day programmatic planning and decision making
- Analysis and research conducted to support program improvements (including operation research, market research and cost-efficiency analysis)
- Support with timely, useful and clear information for evidence-based decision making (including provide support to connect the dots)
- Support provided to regional leadership for new programs and partnerships for exploration and evaluation
- Standards, systems and processes setup for delivery of all functions (monitoring, analysis, research, information systems and quality data)
About the Position: Senior Associate – Programming and Data Management
The Senior Associate – Programming and Data Management is a member of the PDM sub-team and the larger MLIS team, and is responsible for the management of data.
Goals and Responsibilities
Manage and Lead Data Processing and Data Management:
- Directly manage Associates involved in data processing and management and invest in their development
- Implement procedures for data management and quality assurance including: periodic data downloads, data back-up, cleaning of raw data, transfer of data, storage and protection of hard-copy data.
- Support the flow of digital data from the tracking tools to PDM to ensure that no data is lost, the number of surveys/forms collected each day is consistent with the records on the tracking document.
- Work closely with the data collection team to ensure that hard-copies are stored safely in a secure, well-organized, and well-documented repository, and the scanned paper data, where applicable, is stored safely
- Support the smooth and timely data flow from PDM to other MLIS delivery teams and the various programs as needed.
- Highlight recurring data quality issues with a view of sharing the same with the affected data collection teams and individuals, and also informing when re-/training is necessary.
- Document and build systems geared towards improving effectiveness of the Data Processing and Management team.
- Develop interfaces for data entry and manage data entry clerks and process, and make sure the process is done as per the agreed upon timelines,
- Manage creation of codebooks for all data collection instruments used by MLIS and programs.
- Lead management of paper data received from the data collection team: this include scrutiny scanning, and storage/filling of hardcopies
- Support training of data-entry clerks
- Work with the Data Analysis team to understand data needs and facilitate timely delivery of data for analysis
- Develop a feedback system with the data collection team on areas of improvement to improve quality of data collected by and for the organization.
- Work with IS team to ensure accurate data is uploaded to the monitoring and information system (MIS) on time.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, mathematics, statistics, computer science or another quantitative field
- Minimum of two years of experience in quantitative/qualitative research methods and data management, preferably with large and/or complex datasets
- Strong technical expertise with statistical software packages such as Stata and Excel or similar languages such as Stata, R, SAS, Excel etc. with the ability to learn and adapt to new programs (experience with Stata preferred)
- Strong Data management and analysis skills
- Extensive experience with data entry interfaces such as CSPro, EpiData and Access.
- Outstanding experience with mobile phone survey programming in Open Data Kit, and other survey programming languages such as Blaise.
- Working familiarity with bulky text services such as FrontlineSMS, EchoMobile etc
- A working knowledge or familiarity of geospatial analysis in ArcGIS/QGIS and mobile phone survey
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
- Willingness to travel
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
- Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
- Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
- Highly organized and possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love for working with data.