Position Title: Senior Associate, Accountability and Learning
Reporting to: Manager, Data Innovation, Accountability and Learning (DIAL)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: February 18th, 2016 (or ASAP)
Deadline: Rolling Basis
About Evidence Action: Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing ‘what works’ and having impact at scale.
- Dispensers for Safe Water is a comprehensive sustainable rural water service that installs hardware, provides community education, and ensures ongoing maintenance and chlorine supply.
- The Deworm the World Initiative is a coalition of partner organizations, led by Evidence Action. It assists governments with comprehensive technical assistance in the implementation of national school-based deworming programs.
The MLIS team embodies the evidence-based nature of Evidence Action’s work and enables us to be a data-driven organization.
- All ongoing program monitoring needs met (including M&E design and quality data collection)
- Programs delivered with access to timely and useful data for day-to-day programmatic planning and decision making
- Analysis and research conducted to support program improvements (including operation research, market research and cost-efficiency analysis)
- Support with timely, useful and clear information for evidence-based decision making (including provide support to connect the dots)
- Support provided to regional leadership for new programs and partnerships for exploration and evaluation
- Standards, systems and processes setup for delivery of all functions (monitoring, analysis, research, information systems and quality data)
- Data Collection and Information Systems (DIS): Responsible for training, data collection and logistics of M&E activities in the field. Information systems ensure that the program have access to timely and useful data through a cloud-based multi-user system.
- Design, Data Processing and Analysis (DPA): Responsible for data management, analysis and research. DPA ensures that all ongoing program monitoring needs are met and analysis and research is conducted to support program improvements.
- Data Innovation, Accountability and Learning (DIAL): Responsible for supporting the program teams with timely information in innovative, useful and clear ways to translate analysis and research to evidence-based decision making and action. DIAL also seeks out innovative ways to engage with program and is responsible for internal communications.
About the Position:
The Senior Associate, will carry primary responsibility for:
- Creating a shared understanding of MLIS services to Evidence Action program teams;
- Ensuring effective information flow within and between program teams and MLIS divisions;
- Lead the communication of clear research and findings in a timely manner, including donor report writing;
- Creating shared accountability for MLIS services;
- Engage with MLIS stakeholders to ensure clear channels for feedback;
- Spearhead professional development activities within MLIS;
- Support MLIS in conducting secondary research activities;
- Fully understanding program needs for data and translating that back to the MLIS team, including developing tools that enable clear and effective information gathering
- Seeking out, prioritizing, and communicating requests from programs teams to the MLIS team
- Identifying, and documenting the best approaches for the MLIS team to serve programs
- Collaborating with the MLIS delivery teams to ensure that all program team members to have continuous, error-free access to required data for day-to-day programmatic business, planning and decision making
- Writing and editing reports and presentations with a keen eye for how the information should be phrased based on the view point of the target audiences (i.e. data visualization software, infographics, etc.)
- Extracting learnings from analysis and research products that enable program teams to make evidence-based decisions
- Collecting and organizing/curating information from various sources (i.e. existing program (primary) research, external (secondary) research, new analyses, management information systems, etc.) to help programs in making decisions
- Leading the coordination of the three MLIS delivery teams
- Responsible for making program leadership and program delivery teams aware of the ways in which the Monitoring, Learning, and Information Services (MLIS) team can assist programs in making evidence-based decisions
- Managing the productivity, professional development skill building and liaising of at least one Associate, Learning and Communication
- Managing the work plans and priorities of the Learning and Communication Associate
- Master’s degree (preferred) or Bachelor’s (and additional work experience) in data-oriented social sciences (i.e. economics, quantitative political science), data-journalism, public health, epidemiology, or related field
- A minimum of 2-5 years work experience generating high quality, clear, thought leadership pieces and managing communications within organizations and to partners and external audiences
- Experience in data visualization and/or building infographics and/or using design and infographic software (e.g. Gapminder, StatSilk, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, OmniGraffle etc.)
A successful Senior Associate, Learning and Communication will have the following attributes;
- The ability to work independently with minimal instruction
- The drive to seek out new opportunities for work
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
- An active approach to problem-solving and an orientation toward practical knowledge-seeking through learning, questioning, and experimentation
- A belief that the timely and right-sized application of knowledge and information is a requirement for strong decision-making and high-quality service delivery.
- Highest quality, professional writing and communications skills
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.