Job Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Dadaab Field Office
About FilmAid: FilmAid is a development and humanitarian communications organization that harnesses the power and influence of film and media to address critical social issues by creating multimedia content designed to inform, inspire and empower.
FilmAid uses strategic and integrated approaches to distribution including broadcast media, mobile cinema, workshops, community- based screenings and digital media and works with communities to catalyze and drive social change.
FilmAid designs and implements communication initiatives on critical health, protection and environmental issues.
FilmAid’s Theory-Of-Change is based on the integration of access, creativity and participation, which drive individual and community change, contributing to positive social impact.
Underpinning this approach is collaboration; working together is fundamental to achieving change. FilmAid partners with communities, creators, NGOs, Governments, and the private sector to ensure a collaborative approach to this end.
FilmAid’s work falls into the four integrated components: Media Content, Communication with Communities (CwC), Communication for Development (C4D) and Skills Development that combine to support program delivery.
FilmAid produces multiple forms of creative media, which is subsequently distributed through a variety of outreach channels, ensuring that target communities are reached.
This CwC/C4D includes targeted screening events and workshops, radio, SMS, as well as digital media platforms. In addition, FilmAid builds skills within the community to deliver the media and outreach components.
This participatory approach drives individual change, as well as ensuring community engagement and ownership of all interventions.
Job Purpose: The Program Officer will ensure coordination and the implementation of FilmAid authorized outreach activities around Social cohesion and peace building in Dadaab.
Key roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead field implementation of peace building and social cohesion outreach activities (School based, out of school based, community based dialogue sessions) and cholera prevention activities (out of school-based).
- Design, maintain and implement detailed work plans to ensure all outreach activities are completed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the day-to-day planning and implementation of outreach activities on peace building and social cohesion as well as on cholera prevention, liaising with the Field Manager, Outreach Officer, team leaders, the Security Officer and other relevant staff, ensuring an efficient and inclusive approach in the choice of locations for activities.
- Ensure the right people are mobilized for the project’s outreach activities.
- Assist the M&E team to conduct focus group discussions (FGDs) with relevant members of the community; religious leaders, community leaders, children & youth (both in and out of school), women and parents on topical issues of concern to the project intended to evaluate and measure impact.
- Take lead in ensuring documentation of community feedback and communication of learning to the FilmAid team is done in a timely manner.
- Be a liaison between UNICEF (the funder) and FilmAid in Dadaab.
- Conduct (ToT) training to teachers, FilmAid facilitators and other community structures that FilmAid works with on the proper use of peace building and social cohesion materials developed.
- Assist the M&E department to document capture relevant data and document success stories.
- Assist the Creative and Content department to produce outward looking media materials on the impact of the peace building and social cohesion project activities.
- Assist the Outreach team to design and plan for entertaining and engaging cholera prevention outreach activities for out of school children.
- Assist the M&E team to review the progress of the project and contribute to the development of project-related reports.
- Report regularly to the Field Manager the progress of the project.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A degree in Education, Community Development Social Science or Communications.
- Background in communication for development (C4D) or social marketing will be an added advantage.
- Experience working with children is a must.
- Proven experience in project management, coordination, reporting, staff supervision and community engagement.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrable strong organizational and coordinate on skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Good understanding of M&E.
- Ability to work alone and in a team.
- Proficient in MS Office Applications.
- Good understanding of Security Procedures.
- Good report writing and time management skills.
- Planning and execution of laid down plans.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their applications with only with a cover letter, CV and 3 references to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5th February 2016 and clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Project Officer-Dadaab’ stating clearly your expected remuneration for this role.
Note that applicants who send letters of references, testimonials or any other documents apart from those requested will be automatically disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
FilmAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer.