Vacancy: Proposal Development and New Business Manager
Organisation background: GVEP International (Global Village Energy Partnership) is a UK charity seeking to reduce poverty in Africa through accelerated access to modern energy products and services.
GVEP’s current income is derived from major development agencies including Sida (Sweden), DFID (UK), World Bank, USAID, OFID, and the Energia Network.
Purpose of the role:
- To develop new funding relationships for GVEP
- To contribute to the development of GVEP’s overall business development strategy
- To identify and secure new projects, focusing on conceptualising and developing high quality bespoke proposals consistent with GVEP’s strategy, goals and objectives.
- To develop the systems, processes and resources within the organisation necessary to support business development and the handover of new projects to operations colleagues
- To build the capacity of local country teams to play an active role in local origination of funding opportunities and the development of project concepts
The post holder will have to work with other teams across the organisation, such as the Communication team, Programme Management team, Country Managers and the Advisory team, as well as with GVEP’s potential bidding partners and implementing project partners.
- To lead, with the CEO, the development and execution a comprehensive BD strategy for the organization.
- To lead, with the CEO, organizational efforts to identify and pursue new prospective funding from a variety of donor targets, while building and developing relationships with new and existing donor agencies.
- Support and/or lead when required on the development and writing of convincing technical funding proposals with a lucid and compelling style of writing, illustrating technical rigor with donor friendly language and demonstrating a thorough understanding of objectives and requirements of the tenders/donors.
- Support and actively participate in the execution of overall BD and proposal development lifecycle which include: intelligence gathering/research/landscape analysis/gap and competitive analysis, mapping, relationship building, teaming agreements, gathering of administrative documentations, proposal writing, budget development and submission
- Write, proofread and finalize support documents for proposals including budgets, logframes, GANNT charts etc.
- Provide detailed and strategic analysis of Request for Proposal solicitations, instructions and other proposal-related information and ensure the proposal fit with donor guidelines and international standards.
- Keep the organization advised with maximum forewarning of upcoming calls for proposals from relevant donor funding programmes.
- Keep fully abreast of Trends, news & developments from outside GVEP in the renewable energy/energy poverty field, other initiatives by private companies and other NGOs so that BD efforts can be better streamlined and have more likelihood of success;
- Support and lead when required the development of strategic partnerships or consortia for joint bids.
- Develop and create the necessary tools and infrastructure to support proposal and business development (proposal plan, proposal develop process, organization history, qualifications, executive summary sections, cv’s, and other relevant information and energy access data base)
- Support other staff who currently work on business development in addition to their other responsibilities (such as country managers) in generating business for the organization by providing them the required support to originate new funding relationships and opportunities, and develop project concepts.
- Report to the Board and the Senior Management Team on the BD process with regards to: the status of our current live pipeline of proposals/funding opportunities and a track record of successful and unsuccessful bids and existing and past donors relationship in order to support reporting status of pipeline to board & Senior Management Team, at global & country levels
- Represent the organization in appropriate professional and prospective donor networking opportunities with the objective of generating new funding opportunities.
- Support and coordinate when required the proposal hand-over process from the proposal development team to the project implementation team,
- Good knowledge of donors and networks active in Africa / the energy sector.
- Proven experience in programme fundraising / proposal development in an international development context, for bilateral, multilateral donors and/or foundations, especially on large projects (>£500k), and preferably in the Energy / climate change space
- Proven experience in proposals writing (including log frames) with track record of developing proposals that attract significant funding from major donors
- Good graduate or postgraduate qualification in relevant subject desirable.
- Effective at liaising with multiple stakeholders, meeting deadlines and budgeting.
- Excellent communication, writing and research skills
- Experience in summarising synthesising outcomes of energy projects/research/studies in a very user friendly language. Skilled at presenting complex project information in a clear and engaging way.
- Experience in preparing budgets for donor proposals particularly understanding of budgeting and financial requirements and reporting processes; and good skills in spreadsheet/budget preparation.
- High level of computer literacy (primarily in Microsoft Office packages).
- Excellent planning and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to deliver as part of a team
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy in working with numbers; strong analytical ability, able to evaluate and to appraise critically quantitative and qualitative information.
- Experience in formatting large documents in MS Word.
- Energetic, high initiative, approachable, flexible, creative and with willingness and ability to accommodate other people’s ideas and work effectively across cultural boundaries
- Fluency in spoken and excellent written English is a must. Fluency in in French is desired.
- Ability to travel internationally, sometimes on short notice
- Empathy with GVEP’s mission, and values, with a high level of corporate commitment, demonstrated by an ability to take decisions and to act in the best interests of GVEP
To apply please send your CV plus a cover letter (in English) outlining how your knowledge, skills and experience match the job specification to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by latest 24th February, 2016
GVEP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.